VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all im a avid surfer and windsurfer and ive been looking around for a while now for a lwb t4

ive recently came across the following t4 at a local garage who has a good reputation and is also a fellow windsurfer.

the van is described as follows

2000(X)Volkswagen Transporter 2.5TDI LWB 88bhp

van in India Blue,one previous owner and only 74k,rare tailgate model,recent clutch and brake overhaul,window in side load door,privacy glass to side and rear,ply-lined,stereo radio cassette,PAS,excellent condition throughout,long tax and mot

£4295 no vat

its also has service history and i believe if the cam-belt hasn't been done it will do before it goes out.

im not looking for anything to special just a reliable van to get to the beach and quite posable some longer surf trips to europe and will only be doing minnor mods ie wheel springs swivel seat and bed/racks.

the van hasnt come in to the gardge yet but just wondering if it sounded like a resnable deal.

ps which blue is india blue ?

many thanks charlie

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
hi all im a avid surfer and windsurfer and ive been looking around for a while now for a lwb t4

ive recently came across the following t4 at a local garage who has a good reputation and is also a fellow windsurfer.

the van is described as follows

2000(X)Volkswagen Transporter 2.5TDI LWB 88bhp

van in India Blue,one previous owner and only 74k,rare tailgate model,recent clutch and brake overhaul,window in side load door,privacy glass to side and rear,ply-lined,stereo radio cassette,PAS,excellent condition throughout,long tax and mot

£4295 no vat

its also has service history and i believe if the cam-belt hasn't been done it will do before it goes out.

im not looking for anything to special just a reliable van to get to the beach and quite posable some longer surf trips to europe and will only be doing minnor mods ie wheel springs swivel seat and bed/racks.

the van hasnt come in to the gardge yet but just wondering if it sounded like a resnable deal.

ps which blue is india blue ?

many thanks charlie
Did you buy it. :dunno:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no not yet he said it wont be in for a few days so probly got to take a look at it at the weekend.
ive been looking through ebay and seams there are a few 1999 lwb t4s going for more around the £2500 mark but with 100k+miles which got me wondering but the one i have seen does seam to have all the important survice bits done so ges that almost accounts for the extra.
many thanks

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
los more TOW charlie, stop spending so much time on forums ;)
glad you got your board sorted btw!
thats the plan will be back on the water soon finger crosed.want to sort a van so i can go west and get some waves over the summer

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mark gets lots of thumbs up as you know, i guess its him that has the van. I didnt get mine from him, but the wetsuit shuffle is well worth it when its cold or you have been out for 6 hours and just need to warm up to change :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea it is him, got to admit it would have been nice 6 months ago to have a van

·
Registered
281 Posts
but there was no wind anyway so dont worry ;)
LWB are better, I have two boards under my bed, a kitchen unit, sails under the other side, and still enough room to change and fit in my 11'2 sup from tailgate about passenger headrests. a 12footer fits as well

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont know why people say there was no wind me and a frend sailed every weekend

have you any pics of the back of yours kind what i was wanting to do as i have 4 boards i need to store so was thinking a box/seat to take as much as pos then the outher bords where ever. going to be doing it all surf board construction so should be nice and light and strong

·
Registered
281 Posts
i will put some pics up, think there are a couple on my profile. Even better, come down to portland harbour and i can show you.
I put a off-center central divider, about 2.5ft high, with supports either side. then supports going across the width. half of the bed slides out leaving more space. It only fits two boards under the bed for longer camping trips, but have had up to 5 secure for everyday use. In front of the bed you get about 3 foot. Below the kitchen i have the nose of the boards. this is all boxed in. The weight of a bit of wood is not much after you have put in a decent floor, and a decent mattress - these weigh more. I haved saved weight by using towels instead of cupboard doors, they are a bit more flexible for a surfy van as well.
Masts run along the free corners near the boards, and booms fit wherever the hell i can squeeze them.
Damn i need a bigger van with the sup as well !

yeah, i just checked, i have pics in my profile, click on my name.
Oh, and get a screwfix account as it will save a fortune compared to the big retail park shops.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i will put some pics up, think there are a couple on my profile. Even better, come down to portland harbour and i can show you.
I put a off-center central divider, about 2.5ft high, with supports either side. then supports going across the width. half of the bed slides out leaving more space. It only fits two boards under the bed for longer camping trips, but have had up to 5 secure for everyday use. In front of the bed you get about 3 foot. Below the kitchen i have the nose of the boards. this is all boxed in. The weight of a bit of wood is not much after you have put in a decent floor, and a decent mattress - these weigh more. I haved saved weight by using towels instead of cupboard doors, they are a bit more flexible for a surfy van as well.
Masts run along the free corners near the boards, and booms fit wherever the hell i can squeeze them.
Damn i need a bigger van with the sup as well !

yeah, i just checked, i have pics in my profile, click on my name.
Oh, and get a screwfix account as it will save a fortune compared to the big retail park shops.
cheers dude

how much room do you get at the front of a average board i know they are very tight in a swb.sounds similar to what ive been thinking lucaly my sup is only a 9'8 only,i have verios acounts at for suplies so should all be good there will have to do some experiments when i get things sorted.i havnt yet subscribed so cant view your profile will do soon as i finaly sort one. any chance you can email me a pic to charlie underscore underscore grey at hotmail dot com many thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
ok, will try tomorrow.
My carve 133 fits up to the gas bottle which is behind the passengers seat.
My stoke has more space in front
Anything bigger than 110ltr generally you struggle to fit length wise in swb.
i think the carve is 265 long ish

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just a quick question is it possable to up the bhp from 88 ? im used to 170 odd in my truck so its a little scarey droping so mutch. the guy said that the 88s were over all more reliable is that becase its less powerfull or is it a diferent drivetrain? ive read about chips and stuf and intercoolers or something but none the wiser realy cheers charlie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi
I am a newbie on here but if you search 'projekt power' there is a thread that will pretty much tell you all you need to know to bump the power to around 150.

To summarise the thread, on the 88 you need to add the intercooler, change the injector pump/injectors and have a re-map to get around the 150 mark. The guys who have done it havent noted any reliability issues in their posts.

There are also chipping / black box company's who claim to get around a 110 but I have no idea if this is a good way forward.

Cheers
Garf

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hi could anyone tell me if theses wheels should fit a t4 ive emailed the guy but he said he cant see the pcd stamped on them,odviosly looking for 112pcd and as far as i can figer the look to be the right ones can anyone back this up many thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts