VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a vento g/box with the code asd, which I think is 0.717.

The code in my van which is a 1.9tdi conversion is DQL 0.756.

Now these numbers don't mean anything to me, so what I want to know is how much difference is it goin to make at cruising speed if I change the fifth gear over? Would it be worth the effort?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not 100% sure but think its more than that. Ill do a run in it and find out, but thanks that gives me a bench mark figure to work with.T:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Andy,

More questions about the TDI conversion i'm afraid....... (got a 2.5TDI airbox) so the convsion is well on its way and I will post a tread on here shortly, anyway I'm changing my 5th gear too and have the same set up as you!! Question: what size wheel / alloys are you running?? because this will effect the overall RPM T:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gasman, I presume your conversion started off as a 1.9TD Caravelle, which have the .756 as standard. I've been wondering the same thing as you - so far I reckon it will take me too long to re-coup the fuel saving, but it might be worth it fro a more relaxed cruising.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hey Guys!! Have a look at the technical articals & in particular aggie's conversion there is a link on the end that will give you loads of info regarding ratios ect(well worth a look). Is it worth the change? My van is currently being converted to Tdi & has the same box as yours & yes the gearbox/5th is being upgraded. In short with the price of fuel going up on a daily basis :eek: Its worth every penny!! Even more so if you do a lot of motorway driving. T: Good luck

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been out for a run and its doing 3500rpm at 70mph and im running 225/40/18 tyres so I am defo gonna do this conversion. Got the end cap off the vento box tonight, just need to get a puller to get the gear off the shaft then transfer it over. It does seem like a fairly easy job to do and as ive got the box sat there it seems a no brainer if it drops the revs down to somewhere close to andyd's 2500rpm at 70mph!

I will hopefully have the job done in a few days if I can get hold of a puller so I will report back with the results:ILU:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
What sorta price are we looking to get the job done?
By yourself or garage?

Can the job be done by anyone that can handle an egr blank and de-cat exhaust? or is a bit more complex?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
ive done this conversion myself using the 5th gear from the donor car i cant honestly remember what the ratios were or are now, but theres a definate notice in lower rpm not loads but definatly better and i can cruise all day with a full ikea conversion at 70 mph with ease T:
i wouldnt hesitate to do it again and its realy easy if you got the right pullers :ILU:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts