VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..
Got my van back from the garage, where a whole list of things were being sorted.

One of them was "installing" the ISO plugs for the stereo. The result doesnt install confidence .. one of the wires is just taped using electrical tape, but are these connectors going to be ok?

I'm sure they are just thought I'd see what the people with knowledge thought

·
Registered
835 Posts
You already had an ISO plug so I dont get why they needed to hack the wiring? Was there some damage before they were let loose on it? When fitting an aftermarket radio you only need to swap the red and yellow wires in the adaptor then plug it into the existing socket on the cable end........ Oh, you might also need an aerial plug adaptor.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You already had an ISO plug so I dont get why they needed to hack the wiring? Was there some damage before they were let loose on it? When fitting an aftermarket radio you only need to swap the red and yellow wires in the adaptor then plug it into the existing socket on the cable end........ Oh, you might also need an aerial plug adaptor.
sorry, i didnt explain very well, where all those red connectors are, were just bare wire before rather than attaching straight to ISO plugs, they put connectors in. In other words I reckon they cut out the plugs from one van and connected them to my wires, rather than doing it properly, they chose the lazy route.. I reckon they have done that in alot of places :( .. bodge it and leg it..
So do you think I still need to do that swapping business?
There is an aerial plug, but it's out of shot.

·
Registered
835 Posts
sorry, i didnt explain very well, where all those red connectors are, were just bare wire before rather than attaching straight to ISO plugs, they put connectors in. In other words I reckon they cut out the plugs from one van and connected them to my wires, rather than doing it properly, they chose the lazy route.. I reckon they have done that in alot of places :( .. bodge it and leg it..
So do you think I still need to do that swapping business?
There is an aerial plug, but it's out of shot.

If you put your radio in and it forgets the preset stations after turning it off then swapping those 2 wires will sort it! The good bit about the bullet connectors they have fitted for you is that they just pull apart so doing the wire swap will be easy! The aerial plug fitted to VW's is too short for most modern units so an adaptor will sort it - loads of them on ebay and cheap!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you put your radio in and it forgets the preset stations after turning it off then swapping those 2 wires will sort it! The good bit about the bullet connectors they have fitted for you is that they just pull apart so doing the wire swap will be easy! The aerial plug fitted to VW's is too short for most modern units so an adaptor will sort it - loads of them on ebay and cheap!
lovely lovely, so infact they've done me a favour. Great, thanks loads!!A:

Now to get the bigger problems sorted :(

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I wouldn't leave wires like that but I'm a sparky tart.

If it don't look neat then I'm not putting my name to it!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
proper through crimps or soldered connections shrink wrapped would be the professional way.
I wouldn't leave wires like that but I'm a sparky tart.

If it don't look neat then I'm not putting my name to it!
Well, two views that asy it isn't professional, which isn't surprising!!!

But from a safety point of view, is it going to burst on fire or are the connectors safe?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't see any exposed wires so technically you could say its "safe".

But the wires held together with tape?. They could be fine of they could disconnect in a matter of months in the heat/dust under the dash.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
bullets are a proprietary connector and are fine to use here. I would have no worries about these. They have been crimped using a proper tool too from the photo.

·
Registered
772 Posts
bullet connecters are a propriety connection im not sure on the tape joint though .
the term cowboy springs to mind , and with 12 volt i would always solder and shrink wrap .

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
bullets are a proprietary connector and are fine to use here. I would have no worries about these. They have been crimped using a proper tool too from the photo.
+1 Nothing unsafe about this

Just doesn't look very nice.:cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bit of an update with another question, I tried installing a stereo and although it kind of worked, the stereo started smoking..A friend said this could be to do with bad earthing, how can I test this??

Many thanks for the answers and help so far :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts