VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm just after a few honest thoughts and opinions on this van. Someone that I loosely know through work has offered me a blue 02 Y Reg 800 special 1.9d with 111k on the clock for 1700. There is a genuine and personal reason for the sale and hence the price.

now normally I would jump at it for that price but bad points are:

No service history.
Short Tax and MOT
The paint is in a general shabby condition, quite a few scratches and the bonnet looks like it's been shot blasted at some point! lots of little white dots where the paints been removed down to the primer and rust spots where it's gone further. this also extends to the windscreen surround where there,s lots of bigger rust spots.
The rear window is surrounded by lots of sikaflex suggesting a DIY replacement at some point, (though it may well be fine) and some rust.
Big rust patch on the B pillar below the swage line. Large dent in offside sill.

Now I'm not after a show winning van here and will be happy to spend time sorting the rust out, but with the rust around the windscreen is that a problem? and with such a low mileage van should I worry about the short MOT? The general things like horn, lights etc are fine and looking under the van all the rubber gaiters etc look sound as does the exhaust pipe. So any thoughts on the price or on the general state of the van would be most welcome.

The pictures are really a little flattering! but thanks in advance for reading this and taking the trouble to reply.

Chris W

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
rust in the usual places is common,in all honesty its not dear at all,mot work is usually not too bad if you have a general mechanical knowledge,seems a good starting base T:

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
Anchor vans used to import them in up to late 2001 early 2002

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Think it's probably on the money, I personally think that there are better to be had although perhaps older than the one you've been offered..T:

·
Registered
378 Posts
But if its a good honest van then its a good base for you. my van was in a right old state when i got it and in just over a year that i've had it i've turned it into something that turns heads.
anything can be done to these regardless of condition as its only cosmetic. as long as it runs fine and is taxed and tested i'd say its worth every penny all day long. lets face it folk are twigging onto the T4's popularity and worth so get it bought!! T:T:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies folks. As to the wether it's a d or td is an intresting point! The current owner is not too up on his mechanical knowlede and thinks it's a normal diesal, but it may have a turbo. To be honest i've not had a chance to look at the engine bay in daylight yet so im not too sure myself.

As to the year, it should be 2001 with a y plate, but the chassis number says 02? There's a post on the forum about decoding chassis numbers, which is were i'm taking this information from so i could be wrong.:*

Sounds though as if it could be worth taking the plunge. Thanks for the opinions folks, helps clarify my mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts