VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a reasonably competent amatuer mechanic, so I like to fix things. I bought a 1999 T4 that had been converted to a camper a few years ago, it was in a reasonable condition, but needed some welding & a few minor repairs. From the start I noticed that you could only adjust the heater control at the valve under the bonnet. Somebody told me that the bracket breaks behind the control switch in the dashboard. So I purchased a new brass one, when I came to fit it, the existing one was ok, but the cable was not sitting in its clip, so the whole cable would move back & forwards instead of just the inner. Easy fix I thought and put it all back together. Checked that it was working ok & turned on the blower. It was ok for a couple of seconds, then there was a huge clunk & the fan started making a very loud rumbling noise. I diagnosed bearing problems in the fan motor & took the (newly fitted that morning) pollen filter out to access the motor from under the bonnet. Then I found the problem, in my haste to fit the new filter I had neglected to check inside it. The installation instructions had been inserted into the filter & the fan had sucked them in so that they were hard up against the inlet. A real rookie mistake that was easily rectified, without causing any damage, other than to my ego. Still picking bits of shredded instructions out of my beard as I write though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Steve
I’ve got the same problem. I’ve been leaving the control panel loose so I can adjust the heater by feeling behind and pulling or pushing the cable manually. Where did your brass one come from? Are you happy with it now? the plastic fittings are so weak they are bound to give up as the cable gets older and harder to slide. I was even thinking of drilling a hole in the panel below the controls to house a different kind of cable pull gadget. I would welcome your response.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Hughcr I am hopeless at technology, so I cannot see how to just forward the link to you on the forum, so this is the company I got it from and the link I followed on Ebay: VW T4 Transporter Eurovan Heater Control Arm 7D1819045L 7D 1 819 045 L Fix repair The company is Cool Camper. I think if you put the number in on google, it comes up with the correct page on Ebay. It cost £29.99. I have not fitted it yet as the existing one had not broken, it was just that the cable was not seated in its clip properly. Good luck with it get in touch again if you have any problem with my written out link.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Steve. That’s very comprehensive. Glad to hear you resolved your issue. I can’t imagine how the brass part would work in with the plastic housing.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,516 Posts
These were originally made by a guy that used to be on the forum.
It simply replaces the plastic part that breaks.
He must have sold loads, I think he had 30 or so "cast" for him 1st time...and then more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve. That’s very comprehensive. Glad to hear you resolved your issue. I can’t imagine how the brass part would work in with the plastic housing.
Hi Hugh as far as I can see its exactly the same as the old plastic part. There are various You Tube videos showing how to fit it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts