VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while, it's nice to be back on the forum. I have a quick question, how much would you expect to pay to have a new water pump fitted on a 2.5tdi? Seeing as I sat on the M42 with a red hot engine for an hour today, journeying home in 10minute bursts. *sigh*. Can anyone shed any light on the price?
PS: 236000 miles and counting! :ILU:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
pump is around £45 ish from vw,while you have the cam belt off you would be aswell doing the belts aswell,usually around the £375 mark all in,some have paid less and some have paid more,if possible make sure its done by someone who has vagcom to get the pump timing bang on T:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
I think you will probably have to have the cambelt done as well bud, waterpump is driven by it so be careful. TBH i would have called recovery rather than risk limping it back.

Cambelt and waterpump replacement will be £400 +

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, that's been really helpful! See, it's a long story. I had a new clutch fitted to my van after much faffing with what was going to fit. After that, there was an oil leak. Then the van went bang. Ceased to move but ticked over (a little ropey) The mechanic said it was all the valves in the head and god knows what else. (Which i'm sure is a lie because it was ticking over), I knew the mechanic was untrustworthy but funds and such tied me there. After that it was making a horrible grindy noise, so it went back in. He said he fixed it but it was still sounding rough, not overheating or anything. So it went back in AGAIN. He said it needs a new water pump but had the van for a week in bits so I told him to put it back together and I want it back. good as gold it overheated. He fitted (supposedly) a new water pump and cambelt when I bought it 3 years ago. I rang him up whilst sat by the side of the road and he said he would fit a new water pump for £40. Now, I don't know what to do. Long story short, a supposedly trustworthy mechanic has ruined my van. I can't afford to for out 350+ after having to pay 1K for him to stuff everything up. So i'm pretty screwed. I'm not sure what to do. I knew you'd be the guys to ask about this, any suggestions?
PS: Thanks for the info already, it's been really helpful.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, is there anything that could have been done to cause my van to overheat without it being the water pump?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thermostat stuck:*
Start the van up first thing in the morn or when it's stone cold. Run it up to temp and see if the rad, top and bottom hoses are all the same temp. If one pipe is hot and the other pipe and rad are still cold bob's your uncle.T:

Be careful not to over heat it though. Have someone in the van keeping an eye on the temp guage.

As for the guy. Superglue his car locks and let his tyres downI:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts