VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been on my dash since ive owned the van.

however today when changing my heater control cable I found the end and its not even plugged in!

Any ideas what it is?

Many Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
733 Posts
Not 100% sure but could it be something to do with mobile phone's or along those sort of lines ??

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
This has been on my dash since ive owned the van.

however today when changing my heater control cable I found the end and its not even plugged in!

Any ideas what it is?

Many Thanks

Ed
Its an old type sat nat receiver, I had a dell axim palm top and had to have one of them to make the sat nav pick up a signal.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was your van part of a fleet, looks like a tracking ariel or like said above an old mobile phone kit ariel T:
It was owned by brookside fire service from 2003 until 2007 and then a local chippy had it for 2 years.

Guess it a sat nav thing from one of them then.

Thanks guys now I know I dont need it it can be removed. Im guessing its stuck by those foam sticky pads so shouldnt be to hard.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Yep, it's a gps receiver and will be on sticky pads T:
Dam! Just seen this and yet again, you've beaten me to it Keith..... Do you do any work?! Hahhaha

It's a gps puc head. Mainly used for location data. Much like the ones you can buy that lowers your insurance. If your motor gets robbed. They dial in and it relocates it via a lat and long. They probably used it so they knew. Which chippy van the boys were parked outside of while skiving from work. Haha

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Quote:

"Dam! Just seen this and yet again, you've beaten me to it Keith..... Do you do any work?! Hahhaha

It's a gps puc head. Mainly used for location data. Much like the ones you can buy that lowers your insurance. If your motor gets robbed. They dial in and it relocates it via a lat and long. They probably used it so they knew. Which chippy van the boys were parked outside of while skiving from work. Haha"

Surely they would use their own chippy??? LOL:

Unless you are implying that it was the Fire Brigade that were skiving and sitting outside a chippy!?!?! :eek:

·
Registered
626 Posts
GPS antenna most probably, not a whole 'receiver' as such.

Will either be passive/active in which case it'll need 5V shoving up its chuff if you find a suitable receiver. Proabably used in conjunction with an early handheld GPS receiver before sat navs were the norm (and more sensitive...)

If it was connected to a tracking device, the dash board would be a very silly place to put it.... it would be like sticking a kill switch on the dash labelled "kill switch"

-r0

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its coming out tomorrow all going well. Im expecting it to leave a small sun bleached square on my dash. painting it black next winter anyway.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
To be specific, it's a GPS reciever for a Blaupunkt, Alpine or Kenwood fitted sat nav system ;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if anyone is going retro and old skool its free to a good home!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Well if anyone is going retro and old skool its free to a good home!
It's still a current device :), so still of use to anyone with the sat nav brands I named above. All in dash sat nav systems still use these or an external roof mount.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts