VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure if I was going to bother but after seeing how must a swivel base costs figured it's certainly worth while, looking to only do the passenger at the minute as I'm not sure I've got the room to turn the drivers round. My question is, doing people tend to buy a certain make / model or they all pretty much the same?
Thanks
Pete (y)

·
Registered
659 Posts
They're all pretty similar but I went for the Autocraft ones as I'd read some of the others may squeek or didn't have as large a centre pivot as the Autocraft.
They also have the option of having the pivot nut on the top or underside which is handy for clearance if you've got a leisure battery underneath.
I also went for the Autocraft ones as they have a square plate which means there's more contact area for fitting aftermarket seats (I have Merc A Class front seats and the runners are wider than the stock VW ones).

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I used an rib one like this
Ps sure they do a passenger one
Not sure but may also be available with the safe under it

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Thanks for that Stuart, yeah found the passenger side (y)
Hi Pete. I fitted the sportscraft ones including the drivers side. Made some spacers (about 20mm) for the drivers seat and it swivels ok (handbrake off and in gear) without altering the hand brake.
I had them from Paul at Jennings seats in Crewe. Not too far away to collect and with cash, slight reduction. (20%) get my drift/ ;)
Oh, I also fitted a safe under the seat while at it. (no battery)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Sorry Pete - meant to say mine are Sportscraft (not Autocraft) and I got mine from Jennings too - they were the cheapest.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Should also have said rib swivel clears handbrake (off in gear) without a spacer
Lifts whole seat by (from memory)38mm
Wont matter for passenger but may be useful to know if you ever decided to fit drivers as well (y)

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for your help (y) Jennings is cheaper than others I've looked at plus you all speak highly of them so will get the passenger one on order, then look if the drivers one will turn.
@mivanwy they're about 2 hours away from me and don't work weekends so I'll just order through the tinternetweb (y)

·
Registered
74 Posts
DOH I never have been and never will be the sharpest tool in the box, B and T didn't realise Stu's was a linky Many thanks

Ahh mate the whole worlds gone nuts......at times like this ya gotta laugh, have this one on me !!

take care

stu

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally set about fitting my swivel base over the weekend, so removed the front seat...

So much more room with that out, was tempted just to leave it out and make use of the extra space 😁
Seat laid flat ready to tackle removing the runners from base only to find this...

Some fudge nugget has only welded them together! 🤬 and welded the bolt and nut in place!
Is it worth angle grinding the welds off and making good or just buy a new base and running gear?

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's one of the worst botches I've seen, why use bolts when welding is soooo much better? :mad:
Yeah I've got a double passenger seat with rails sat in my dining room. Will sell that at some point. Will see if I find a replacement base with runners, as I doubt I'll manage to get all the welds off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pete have a go at getting it off, there doesn't seem a lot of penetration to the 'erm weld if ya can call it that iI seems worth a punt with a grinder to me you've lost nowt if you can't split. Just be careful with sparks and the material super careful !!!!

B and T sorry the links here appear different utterly threw me I thought you had linked Stu's post Sorry mate was shattered, been pushing the envelope a bit to earn a crust before construction shut down and no work. Long long days going like a **** and too old is not good

any way cheers for the link

take care both

1 - 20 of 36 Posts