VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been asked a few times (or more than a few times!) but I am still not clear. Every time I have to lift the van I am scared to death it's going to fall over and cause a load of damage. Not to mention the worry when I am underneath!

Can anyone post some photos of where to jack up, either with the standard jack or with a trolley, and then where to place the axle stands. Both front and back. There are a few threads with descriptions but photos would take away the 'hope I am right' element.

I think this would be really helpful to lots of people and prevent me from being squished in a horrible accident.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
rightly or wrongly, i jack mine up at the rear under my towbar ( with high lift trolly jack ) and put my axel stand under the box section my side bar bolts to,
thats the problem with side bars, you lose the original jacking point on the sill,,, but thats the safest way ive found of lifting / working on mine........

·
Registered
413 Posts
I fully understand how you feel. I always use stands but the other day my trolley Jack collapsed as I was putting the axle stand under. It nearly went through the fuel tank. It was a scary moment. It was a 2t jack so thought it was ample.

Bought a much bigger Jack now. Better safe than sorry T:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if your that worried.:eek:
Use a pair of Ramps,
Rasp:
Got some ramps, but not so useful when taking wheels off.

Not debating what is safest. Just want to know, with pictures, where to jack from, where to trolley jack and.where to put axle stands.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'd like to know too, I've asked a few times and people give lots of "it's obvious" answers but nothing definite.

I've never worked out how you jack it up on trolley jack and then put it on stands as they want to be on the same points! I jack up with the standard jack on the reinforced bit of the sils and then put the stands on the solid box behind the jacking point. Once it's up it feels solid but I hate using the stock jack, they're notorious for breaking and shooting screw thread bit outwards, if that hit your hand I'm thinking no more piano playing!

·
Registered
224 Posts
This may seem like a simple/obvious thread to many but I for one can see the importance of it! Someone upload some photos and help prevent a tragic accident! Rasp:

·
Registered
682 Posts
For small jobs I normally place an axle stand right beside the jack and lower 99% of the van's weight onto the axle stand. That way the stock jack doesn't fall over and it speeds things up.

For a trolley jack. Always place axle stand here too if climbing under or lifting both side using the normal jack. It says Front: at front cross member see illustration. Rear: At mounting for rear trailing arm. Never climb under a van without axle stands.

These are just from the manual.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice.

Leads me to another question.....

Will a trolley jack that lights to 43cm be enought to work under the van?

·
Registered
701 Posts
The points in the manual are where I put the stands, trouble is getting the van lifted with a trolley jack, can't have ther jack and the stands at the same point!!

That's why I use the stock jack, much as I don't trust it I have no choice unless I can work out a place to put the trolley jack!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Nice.

Leads me to another question.....

Will a trolley jack that lights to 43cm be enought to work under the van?

Depends what your at don. Not enough room to swing a hammer but grand for most jobs.

@neufena

You could make a sturdy wooden attachment for your trolley with a slot for the sill.

Careful now! Whatever you do don't damage the van.
Use common sense. Always do it on a flat surface. Be careful when jacking up the back wheels as this removes the handbrake from the equation. Put chocks/bricks around the front wheels.:tu

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Depends what your at don. Not enough room to swing a hammer but grand for most jobs.

@neufena

You could make a sturdy wooden attachment for your trolley with a slot for the sill.

Careful now! Whatever you do don't damage the van.
Use common sense. Always do it on a flat surface. Be careful when jacking up the back wheels as this removes the handbrake from the equation. Put chocks/bricks around the front wheels.:tu
Just want something to use at home instead of the standard jack.

Was thinking of this one http://www.tools4trade.com/d-4500010-Sealey-Trolley-Jack-Yankee-3ton-Long-Chassis-Extra-Heavy-Duty-1153CX-SP.aspx

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
The points in the manual are where I put the stands, trouble is getting the van lifted with a trolley jack, can't have ther jack and the stands at the same point!!

That's why I use the stock jack, much as I don't trust it I have no choice unless I can work out a place to put the trolley jack!
jack it up on the rear trailing arm and then position the Axle stands in the correct place. Front IIRC I use the subframe to jack on...

will be under the van the Weekend so pics might be forth comming.

I should add that I never use any of the supplied jacks uless it is just for a single wheel change.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jack it up on the rear trailing arm and then position the Axle stands in the correct place. Front IIRC I use the subframe to jack on...

will be under the van the Weekend so pics might be forth comming.

I should add that I never use any of the supplied jacks uless it is just for a single wheel change.
If you can sort some more pics mate, it would be appreciated. A nice sticky how to jack your van thread would be appreciated by many, I am sure.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts