VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so a trolley jack is the final word when at home BUT can anyone recomend a cheep aterenative to the standard WV jack incase of a flatty? I have my van dropped on coilies and have side bars fitted. This prevents me from using the standard jack as the angle is all wrong. Tried a 1 tonne scissor jack from MacMart, this collapsed on trial. Salvaged a 1.8 tonne scissor jack from a Renault master van, moded the locator and great, untill i tried to adjust the rear coilies today at work. Up it went and over the jack went (van moved sideways)(jack splines failed at base) Bas***d! Its an empty T28, I mean empty, not even got any ply liners at mo so what gives?????????????? Ye, the jack, I know LOL.

What are you using? Help me please hsy::blghsy::blghsy::blg

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got a 2 tonne bottle jack that came out of a Jeep Grand cherokee, exceptionally good. I don't trust scissor jacks... they are... well C-rap!

·
Registered
382 Posts
keep a couple of pieces of 2" x 4" wood (wide enough for each wheel) in the back and when you need to use your standard jack, just drive the wheels onto the wood and that will raise your van enough to use your standard jack. :ILU:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Believe or not the best price I have seen bottle jacks was B&Q on Saturday. Under a tenner for 1ton I think and 2 ton not a lot more. I'm getting one too T:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
keep a couple of pieces of 2" x 4" wood (wide enough for each wheel) in the back and when you need to use your standard jack, just drive the wheels onto the wood and that will raise your van enough to use your standard jack. :ILU:
what he said T: , i use lumps of wood and drive up on them,this allows room to get my trolley jack under

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Believe or not the best price I have seen bottle jacks was B&Q on Saturday. Under a tenner for 1ton I think and 2 ton not a lot more. I'm getting one too T:
Thanks man, i don't really like the idea of bottle Jacks as i don't trust the marriage between the T5 jacking point and the head of the Jack, nothing locates and it looks like it could slip off at any time (not a good ending). Unless I am overlooking something that is?????

Also, do they lift high enough???

Thanks for your BnQ intelT:

·
Formerly known as "dzv0ry" (but nobody knows why)
1,221 Posts
why aye, your only rolling your van about an inch or 2 with a flat, its not like your gonna do 20 miles at 70 mph:*
I guess the point was, if the jack don't fit with inflated tyres, you've got to make that up, plus some to get a jack underneath with a flatty!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
In the offroad community we have big inflatable cusions, air jacks, that llift several tons & don`t medd up U`r ride
Okay, so they are more than a few beer tokens, but still a great investment
I know what U are on about, cant get my trolley jack under my stock Quattro either :(

Ca recomment the "air bag" T:
PM me if U need a link ie:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Finding a definitive answer on the Forum is probably as difficult as doing the search in the first place, however I have come across this thread on the subject and have a couple of questions to those of you in the know!!

* Given the choice of carrying a low level trolley jack or an inflatable air jack, which would be the most efficient to use in an emergency? I'm talking about ease of use and safety in the sort of situations I'd be likely to find myself in!

* Also, given a choice of finding space to carry one of them in the back, which is the lightest/smallest or most convenient?

At this stage there seems to be little difference in cost and I'm more concerned with safety, use and praticality than a few £. Just to add the spare is in the carrier under the van (I already carry the correct wheel bolts!!), so I would need enough lift to get that out and that would involve a degree of body beneath van, so safety in that respect is paramount.

I already have breakdown cover, so that's always an option for when I realise I can't actually undo the wheel nuts anyway, and I noticed that there was a recommendation for carrying cans of tyre weld too, so will get that for punctures, but would be grateful for any input or advice you can offer!!

Thanks everso!! T:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Very interesting topic . I carry spare wheel bolts for the steelie and set of locking nuts to get the long wheel studs off and would have to take of by side bars to get the standard VW jack on .

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Personaly i use an aluminium race jack ,it fits under lowered cars nicely and its small and light ,it has a wide plate with a rubber pad to help against slipping and damaging the underside of the vehicle .
Bit pricey but what price do you put on your life ,your van ?
I have had a ford fiesta of all things fall off its ford jack and pin me to the garage floor having had the front disc area land on my wrist ,im lucky to be here 10 seconds prior my head was under there , axle stands and decent jack was top of my shopping list soon after ! I:I:

Similar to mine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarke-Lo..._Equipment&hash=item337a6b66de#ht_2606wt_1397

This one looks good with LED lights !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liftmaste..._Equipment&hash=item3a74ccd372#ht_2441wt_1163

·
Registered
725 Posts
Highasakite: I thought I was all organised too until I realised that the new fancy schmancy side skirts I've just had fitted meant the standard jack was no longer an option (not sure it ever really was, but now it most definitely isn't) and I can't unfix them like bars!! Not sure I'd want to be undoing all of that lot in the pouring rain and dark on the side of a busy motorway TBH.

Dave: I totally agree - I'm a right paranoid one with the trolley jack and axle stands on the driveway and it's not even me using them! I know I can dial 999, but I really don't want to have to so I turn into a complete 'have you?' - have you got that secure? have you put the stands under? have you checked and double checked?!! I'd like to pretend that Helga-Velle was a streamlined low slung sporty lass, but in reality she's a big fatty and whilst the lights are very persuasive (very blingy and I do like!), I'm a bit reluctant to risk the 1.5 tonne max limit even though it's a corner at a time!! I always have a head torch, so that'll suffice I think!!

Kite Boy Chris: Thanks for that recommendation. It looks man enough for the job without being over bulky and heavy, so looks like that's now up to the top of the shopping list!

Thanks a lot all T:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts