VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, i have started gathering bits for my tdi conversion, ordered my pedal and bracket today, also got the 2.5 cruise control kit and a few gaskets From the main dealer
Got the donor car to work last night, after doing as much as I could on the drive yesterday afternoon

After getting most of the work done this morning we decided to get it in and start striping the engine and loom out of it

Not a bad afternoons work, got home and stripped the loom down and binned it considerably!! Worked out what everything is, and modified the wire for the dop as I'm using standard clocks....

Start stripping the engine tomorrow possibly if I get a chance......

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Planning on getting the engine fitted next weekend, my mk4 is in for a bit of paint this weekend so next weekend the wife can have the car while I get stuck in with the van, will be checking the clutch today on the donor engine, I there any upgrade that I can fit? After everything is in and settled, we will be doing a little bit of tuning, so don't want a standard one to start slipping!! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'm doing the same - tuning the 90bhp 1z up to about 130-145bhp dependant on how healthy my engine actually is (it's only got 110k).

I am under the impression a t4 VR6 clutch is a direct replacement - now i am taking this as gospel as i have never even seen a clutch before - but this is what i will likely be fitting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All golf vr6 are 2.8, the corrado was a 2.9 so any year golf VR should do.
Ah right ok, so golf mk3 vr6 clutch kit will do the job, will get on the awe tomorrow, all my parts will be in from the dealer tomorrow, timing belt kit has arrived today, just got clutch and filters to buy, what is the best option regarding the airbox? Will the 2.5 lid fit onto the 1.9 bottom of the box? Want it to look as factory as possible....

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Ah right ok, so golf mk3 vr6 clutch kit will do the job, will get on the awe tomorrow, all my parts will be in from the dealer tomorrow, timing belt kit has arrived today, just got clutch and filters to buy, what is the best option regarding the airbox? Will the 2.5 lid fit onto the 1.9 bottom of the box? Want it to look as factory as possible....

Make sure your flywheel is 228mm , the VR6 Pressure plate and Friction plate are 228mm .

Your existing flywheel with probably only be 219mm unless its had a bigger228mm ( G60 ) Flywheel fitted . T:

whats your existing engine ? 1.9TD ABL ? OR 2.4D if its a 2.4D it will have the 228mm as standard

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 2.5 airbox lid will fit but can be hard and expensive to source, this is my solutiuon ('bout a fiver off ebay) not running yet though but can't see a problem with it:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If that silicone hose was black it would look factory, nice one!!
I had a delivery from the dealers today, my throttle pedal and bracket, oil filter housing gasket and my cruise control kit!! I wasn't going to bother with the cruise and do it later but I know what I'm like once I've been in there I won't wana go back in there for a while and it will get forgotten about!! So will wire it in when the fuesbox is all out. All I need now is a clutch kit, will get the box off tomorrow and measure the flywheel and see if I can get the vr6 clutch in there, if not then a good quality standard tdi one will be going back in!!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'd advise adding the section of cruise control loom before you fit the whole loom into the van. you need to snip off the golf plug as it's different to the T4 one. there's eff all slack on the loom once it's installed and the soldering will be way way easier to do at you work table than it will be to do upside down in the footwell whilst trying to avoid melting all the other surrounding wires....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Let me know how you get on with the CC install - i modified my loom and added the harness that bridges from T4 modified loom to the controls themselves however mine, even though i think its activated, won't work. I tried resetting my switches but without understanding my vagcom i struggled to resolve it before i had to come back to uni.

I am just hoping that i cut and patched the correct wires :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well more bits arrived today!! Thanks to penbryn for my new intercooler, my vr6 clutch kit also turned up today, just gota sort out the intercooler pipe work that I need and I think I've got everything ready to carry out the conversion, I wana try and get it done over a weekend if its possible, if I only get the engine in and running so I can move it out on Monday morning I will be happy, then spend a few evenings to get it finished!! Will be starting to strip my donor engine tomorrow, the beetle engine I have on my engine stand at the mo is guna take the back burner for a while so I can use the stand?!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me know how you get on with the CC install - i modified my loom and added the harness that bridges from T4 modified loom to the controls themselves however mine, even though i think its activated, won't work. I tried resetting my switches but without understanding my vagcom i struggled to resolve it before i had to come back to uni.

I am just hoping that i cut and patched the correct wires :D
I will do mate, as soon as the conversion is done if all is boot I will let u know!!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
p.s nice PJ's ;)

Where in aber are you mate? The lass studies there and i used to spend a reasonable amount of time pottering about there - would be interested in seeing how you go about the intercooler maybe? T:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well got a bit more done today, managed to get my beetle engine built and ready to come off my engine stand so the TDi can be mounted on there tomorrow, started stripping the tdi, removed the turbo, gearbox, clutch ( was almost on the rivets!) coolant pipes, turbo oil feed pipe, got a couple of questions....
What coolant housings do I use?
What oil feed pipe do I use? ( using abl turbo)
What metal coolant pipe do I use? My abl one is a bit worse for wear, if I need to keep it I will buy a new one

I don't want to strip the engine too much and make more work for myself.......

Few pics of today's efforts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right then, as I'm not allowed to go down my workshop today, I've spent the morning removing parts of the t4 dash and fitting various bits and bobs, replaced the immobiliser box and pickup ring, dropped the fuesbox and wired that up, the pump module has been bypassed on the abl so the box wasn't doing anything anyway, removed the steering wheel and replaced the indicator stalk for the cruise control unit, replaced the small section of wiring loom that connects to the brake lights switch and replaced the W connector it the fuesbox ready for the cruise wiring, also soldered the small section of loom from the cruise kit the the main wiring harness and trial fitted the new throttle pedal and bracket just to see how it fits, really itching to get the conversion done now.......... May pop out later and see how the LT intercooler sits behind the grill..............
Cruise stalk swapped

Immobiliser box installed

Old immobiliser and loom section removed

W connector installed

All I need to do now is to finish striping the ahu and then ready to get the van in and stripped!!
Will be ordering intercooler pipe work later...... 95 quid on pipe work, almost as much money as the clutch kit!! :-(

1 - 20 of 100 Posts