VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 3 T5’s a change of plans and needing money for my business meant my 2013 kombi had to go ?

I already have a mk4 golf, ‘71 beetle
cabrio and a ‘71 early bay camper but as there was some room on the drive decided to get a T4!!!

Ive always liked the look of the T4 have been close to buying one before but this time money dictated a T5 was too much so I set about looking for a cheap T4

I managed to find one literally round the corner from me and walked to go see it!

a bit of haggling and this arrived

2001 swb 1.9td previous owner had done a few jobs, the back is all insulated, carpeted and done to a good standard too, there’s a bongo rear seat that folds down and a board behind it so that it’s a bed, there’s a unit with a sink, leisure battery and storage too

plan to take the seat and unit out and make it a camper

mechanically it runs nice, need some tlc and a good service but that’s easy enough

I thought the bodywork was ok but then I started looking closer and bit am I going to be busy with the welder!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started proding around the wing first

not good!

had a look at the windscreen too, very rusty but no holes, expect the screen will have to come out though to sort it all out

The rust on the wing at the bottom was terminal so new wing needed, so took it off to find a lot more work!!

Front bumper off next

Passenger wi g then came off (again only fit for the bin) at least the inner wing wasn’t as bad but still needs work

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So cut out all the rust off on the drivers inner wing and after trying to find a replacement panel and not being able to find one anywhere started fabing up a new panel

yes I know why welding isn’t the best but I know it’s solid and I’ve done plenty of welding on classic minis and that’s all gone through mots and inspections so I’m ok with it!!!

Then whilst searching on eBay I found an inner wing!! So all that was cut out again and a section cut out of the replacement inner wing to weld in

Outer wing all lines up so all good!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I then found some wheels! Not fitted yet but had to see what they’d look like!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Passenger side next

all cut out

New lip put in

then all welded up

will put all the holes and fixings in when I have the outer wing and can mock it all up!!

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Love a good project Jim (y) .
Slap some seam sealer over the welds and they'll look fine mate . ;)

They scirocco wheels? I like them alot .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Been there!

Look into putting drain piping from the windscreen holes so it doesn't just run over the inner wing. Haven't done it myself yet but its on the list as I've shiny new inner wings and would like to keep it that way.
At least the cross member looks solid.. unlike my old one :ROFLMAO:

I'd also check the bungs in the rear arches!
Keep the updates coming(y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts