VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So removed the ply lining today, the fitter had simply self tapped into the floor or sides :( so I will have to file, clean, rustproof and then I'll probably fill just to be on the safe side.

Looked underneath, no spare wheel :eek: I do expect to get some alloys in due course so if I stay the same size, I'l be OK, but also no wheel brace but I've got a jack!

Gave the floor a clean, and well, its not in bad nick internally for 146k I think......

Time for a shower now, let's see what costs we get for the clutch this week.....

Gaz

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So not much to report this week, the new gear knob arrived from Ebay, thought it didn't fit as when removed the broken one (seems quite a regular issue from pictures seen around) but then the plastic surround came away and all was good..... makes it aesthetically better.

I've got the clutch/DMF being fixed on Friday coming. Whilst that was being booked in, the service history turned up..... which doesn't tick the cam belt at any service, so now its 4 1/2 years old, with 146k, am guessing it may be on seriously borrowed time! What is wrong with people, but anyhow the guy doing the clutch is also going to do the cam belt... so after that it should be an opportunity to take it for a drive, as I have simply put some oil and diesel in and driven it around the block about 3 miles so far (in two weeks, but I did get the battery charger out and top it up)!!!

If I get chance tomorrow might take the door card off and try the new aggressive cleaning chemical I bought to see if I can bring them up decently..... then needs some silver rustproof paint and will deal with the self tapped holes.... then might start to remove the bulkhead brackets up to the spot welded spots.....

Then I'll probably tackle the brakes myself with my trusty Haynes manual and a mates brake bleeding kit!

I might even get chance to see if I can work the parrot hands free kit, and the radio.....

Gaz

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So door card removed, cleaned using a new cleaner recommended and a nail brush, wiped dry and.... yep much cleaner..... so then poorboy's natural finish.... It is now back to grey!

I learnt, the tool that came in my trim removal pack is bloody good at removing clips... I learnt clips do break, but all were re-used though I'll get some more as the fitting is not quite as close.... and that to soundproof, there is a whole panel that will need removing so will need to be careful with that as no doubt the electric window and glass will be a problem!!

But only took about half hour to get the door card off, now I know what I am doing should be 10 minutes for the next one, but pleased with how it's come up, pretty sure the rest of the cab can be done and have similar results.

Also found out that between the windscreen and the dash top is a gap, found a pen, some paper work (got Nathaniels phone number lol), box of spilt matches, 2 lighters... got most of the out, does seem a nightmare gap though... presuming they all have it?

Big week for her...... let's see if I actually get out to play at the coming weekend!

Gaz

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So today DMF, Clutch Slave Clutch Cylinder and Cambelt/Waterpump done on my drive by Martin of MVS Solutions from Tamworth.... excellent job, quick clean and no nonsense and excellent price.

So hopefully later I get to take it out and have a proper drive which I'd not done before!

Good times!

Gaz

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Been out for a drive.... really quiet smooth considering, no gearbox issues/clutch issues, no smoke from engine and even managed to get the Parrot Hands free paired and working.....

Happy bunny!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Cleaning Stu,

The money is gone for now, so two things planning and cleaning...... there's a few "links" and scuffs, so might try and polish those out too, and a bit of a clean under the hood.....

I "think" the first effort will be to get new ply lining sorted, and fitted, so it can be used for a few jobs here and there, then I'll be sound deadening and insulating, the sides, and getting windows.... the big thing for me is working out whether to have Kombi style seats or caravelle style seats to get the most flexibility.... plus have to work out how to make the travel area safe for the pooches too...

So lots to think about, but with no dosh left for now, its the simple things :)

Gaz

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Also worth thinking about the system i use if you want flexibility
I use uniwin tracking and clip out seats with built in seat belts
Uniwin can be used for rock and roll beds pod units load secureing points or dog cages etc T:
Was a cheap option for me as i got track clamps and seats from a minibus at the breakers for £100 and made my own reinforceing plates and fitted it my self with the help of my mate (whos a mechanic mot tester)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Also worth thinking about the system i use if you want flexibility
I use uniwin tracking and clip out seats with built in seat belts
Uniwin can be used for rock and roll beds pod units load secureing points or dog cages etc T:
Was a cheap option for me as i got track clamps and seats from a minibus at the breakers for £100 and made my own re-enforcing plates and fitted it my self with the help of my mate (whos a mechanic mot tester)
Interesting, I've seen these and they look suitable for purpose, but a bit harder than a sliding system I think... however at £100 would be silly not to consider..... any pics at all? I have some mates with that kind of talent but they is busy blokes!

Yes the ply is likely to get fitted and have to come off for the sound/insulation, plus electrickery and of course suitable mounting bits and pieces, I doubt I can do it all orderly and it not to have to take the odd backward step but will try to plan and avoid if poss!!

Cheers,

Gaz

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
https://goo.gl/images/pLrQuT
Heres an image from the forum (not my van ) im having trouble lately uploading photos
By all means click on my profile and view all my albums there may well be a photo of my seats in one of the albums T:
Its actually a pretty straight forward job but you need two pairs of hands one to turn the fixings inside one to hold them underside not necessity to have an mot tester help you but does give you peace of mind :D

21 - 40 of 50 Posts