VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
54 plate 130 2.5 axd with worn cam and followrs , in need of a recomendation for a place in the midlands to get it fixed.

Been looking around the threads and I'm pretty sure I have ensuing cam failure. On a journey beyond 20 minutes i get a loud knocking coming through the whole air system and having had the pipes off is coming loudly from int inlet manifold. I'm confirming tomorrow as a hero mate is getting a endoscope type camera thingy from snap-on and we'll try to get a gander at it.

I'm not quite sure why it only when it's warmed up, and can't get my head around why a worn cam blows back into the airbox, but heck, pretty convinced from all the write-ups that detail the bain of a pd engine can't be wrong.

So, I'm in dire need of a good place in or around the midlands that has experience in t5 cam replacement (and the tools!).

Anybodies experiences of the same problem welcomed and costs you've paid for getting it replaced please. I'm based in leamington spa, but will travel nationally if I'm convinced it'll be worth it!!

Cheers,

'Puzzled

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mine was knocking/thumping from cold and sounded better when warmed up:*
It was cam wear early stages had whole lot replaced
By main dealer

Pete

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Think it might be the cam followers as when the oil gets warm the followers go all spongy and don't sit in there seats properly. They then get stuck and hold the valves open slightly. The popping in the air box is probably combustion coming back through the open valve.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mine was a 1.9 had very little warning until the follower broke into bits and chewed the head up cost me £3k for the rebuild new head etc get it sorted sooner rather than later mate

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the experience folks.

Does anybody have a trusted, value for money garage I could take it to for a fix??

Monkey

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
got the same thing goin on also , going to make more inquires today, maybe hire the locking tool off festa:) and get a job lot of them done - will update later T:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good thought, has anybody got experience of a DIY cam change? Pray tell, is it a good idea? I am comfy with a spanner, just not with the cold weather anymore!

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
Its not as bad as you think.. It just looks frightening :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Biting the bullet and taking it in to the experts to fix. I'm dropping my van at Ultimate transporters this afternoon. I would like to have rented the tool and had a go myself, but I'm up against it with time and as such an important part, I'm not sure my nerve would hold. I recon I could have saved 20% on costs, but that's quite small on balance!

I'll update on how things went when it's back.

For those in the same club, good luck and post your results here when you're done!
Cheers for the info folks,
Monkey

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
glad you ve got it sorted monkey, be interested to know how much you paid and what oil has been used after. spoke to a mechanic in the week and still waiting .

·
Registered
89 Posts
Out of interest what mileage and age are your vans please, I'm hoping to join the 2.5 club really soon and would just like to know out of interest please.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i think i might have it engine quiteish untill i open the oil filler cap and it sounds like a bag of spanners anyone know anywhere in nottingham to get it sorted?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fixed and including the dreaded, just over 1k. Popping/banging gone from the airbox, power seems a little bit down but I've not been driving for the week and only the missus's fiesta between, so I may get used to it again and it only be in my head. Still sounds like a bag of spanners when you take the oil cap off but I think that's normal. The old cam had a lot of ware on it.
My van is an axd with 160k on the clock.
Good luck to all in the worn cam club!

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
glad you got sorted but that sounds like dealer prices , which oil do you use ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use longlife 2 by quantum. it's a 506.01, just incase it is different to 507.

Still running very lumpy, under powered and a dog to start up in the morning now with big plumes of white grey smoke.

What other problems could a cam change throw up? It feels concerningly "stiff" to drive? Surely it wouldn't need to settle in?

All thoughts welcome!

·
Super Moderator
9,210 Posts
I use longlife 2 by quantum. it's a 506.01, just incase it is different to 507.

Still running very lumpy, under powered and a dog to start up in the morning now with big plumes of white grey smoke.

What other problems could a cam change throw up? It feels concerningly "stiff" to drive? Surely it wouldn't need to settle in?

All thoughts welcome!
Injectors setup right and is the backlash been set correctly as they can be over tightened which could give you that tight feeling

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the van's back in with UT. The injector seals need doing now, so something was upset with the cam change? But all credit to UT, they're looking at it an it sounds like they'll only be charging parts. Though, I am a little sad not having my big white baby for a week! Almost there.... watch this space!A:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Cant fault Mac at Ultimate Transporters , I bought a 54 plate 2.5 174 from him and it kept going into limp mode and wasn't starting without cranking it a lot, he changed the injector seals - turbo - pump - and Listers said it was the head so he had that changed as well and provided me with another van for work out of his own stock then when Listers had it I had one of there own new vans all at the cost to Mac. Head changed as well as other things by Listers and still turned out as a Turbo as I suggested, How can they be Master Techs at VW when it turns out it was what I said it was.

Any way thumbs up to Mac at A T T:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts