VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Thought I'd start a thread covering the work I'm doing on my bus, especially as I've asked a few questions! Its started life as a 2011 T5.1 van bulkhead and all, 180k on the clock, standard tradie issue with shelving ply and dinks galore.

The plan was to use it as a base for some sailing competitions in France but then covid struck and well you know the rest. So far its been used for some bike adventures around the place, and I'm working up towards a more complete bus for hopefully next years sailing and more biking.

I apologise I don't have enough photos of the work in progress, a lot was done during a covid induced break from work after lockdown last year and geared up to go up north for some biking stuff with a mate.

The beginning:

Removed the bulkhead, shelves, and built a frame for a sliding bed.

Ikea mattress used for sofa bed style, needs some adjustment on the back I reckon

Noise Isolation + Insulating

The walls and ceiling are insulated with dodo silent matt and dodo insulation, with cheapy plastic bottle filler for the gaps. The floor is duo matt, as I said not enough pictures but:

The walls are a carpet that as passed on to us as unwanted, so great value for money :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Carpeting and trim

The sliding door and rear threshold have Transporter HQ trims to upgrade the old ones. The interior bulbs are all LED from them too, (cheeky bonnet strut and windscreen "gap" rubber as well)

I need to sort the outside paint as it has a few marks, and organise some windows to be put in (the insulation there now as for last year as a "get it done" measure).

Electrics are planned along with a new roof, and an upgrade to the bed to build it in a bit more (although I'm keeping most of the storage underneath)

I'd also like a swivel seat for the passenger up front and some filler trim for the bare metal thats left.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great van I personally don’t hate the standard tradie bumpers with some added and side mouldings - that’s my plan anyway
Mine are quite battered, I've seen refurbed / 3rd party ones that look great in a dark grey to complement the paint rather than matching paint ones, which might be an option

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is still a work in progress but finally getting somewhere with the roof (the beam is just a mock up for the furniture in the corner, which is going to be storage, fold down table and kitchen stuff.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

New bed / sofa base (channeling @Pduk here, this is either mk 2 or mk 3 depending on how you count) thats gone together this week, door accessible storage for tools / toys, with the back storage being accessible either by lifting the lid or via the rear door.

I'm half thinking about making the rear a slide out drawer for either the storage, or drop in pod.

Electrics are being installed on the left box behind the drivers seat (which is still missing a lid currently)

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
😂I think I need to add a disclaimer under my sig that I can not be held responsible for more money being spent of reworks and rebuilds (y)
Looks good though, all about evolving our set ups to better cater for our needs.
Have you got something to hold the storage boxes in place, don't want them sliding about.

Reactions: Simonw66

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Added a stitches + steel barn door awning to the van this week. Great quality but I feel the straps at the van side could be hooks on bungee to make it easier to fit! Bit fiddly otherwise. Also have a kiravans cab divider curtain to install, but I'm umming and awing on positioning 😂

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Theres also some trims coming along for the bed to make it match the roof, along with a cover for the "cupboard" that I'm going to try attaching with magnets, and the frame for the cupboard / bed extension on the far side are coming along

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
I keep thinking about getting the barn door cover, but every time I look it's out of stock. Interested to see how things are progressing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts