VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ex AA has several unused relays, including the large jump start one that I disconnected to ensure I didn't run the battery flat (again!). I'm about to fit a leisure battery with split charging and am wondering whether I can use these redundant relays. My preference is to use the jump start relay as it can take more current, but will it be too much current?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was planning on doing the exact same thing. Use the wiring from the chunky relay under the bonnet, to the rear of the van to go to the leisure battery in the back. Then just hook up a simple control circuit (no idea what or where from yet though) to control the Jump start chunky relay.

I've read somewhere that this Jump start relay draws around 3Amps, which is quite a lot. It is all mounted and wired up so saves a lot of hassle IMHO....

Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
i came up with the same idea for mine and have got it all connected and it works fine. iatf you look in the fuse box below the steering wheel you will probably have a blue wire dangling down with notheing on it, this is connected to the altenator, you can then connect a relay to this, you will need to use a small relay to operate the jump start one as if you connect the jumo start relay straight to the blue wire you will damage the altenator. hope this helps

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent, thanks for the responses and good to know I'm not in cloud cuckooland. Using a smaller relay to start the large one is good advice, would one of the redundant plastic cube ones do the job?

·
Registered
11 Posts
yes just one of the old ones will do the job, its just so it dosent draw too much power through the blue altenator cable, remember to fuse it all aswell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts