VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all...

Looking for some thoughts on my current problem.

The patient: 99 Caravelle, 2.5TDI, ACV Enging, AFK/02G box.

A bit of history: Gearbox exploded on the Humber Bridge back in 2010, got a relacement fitted (2nd hand), has been intermittently jumping out of 1st ever since. Changed some of the mounts at the same time.

The Symptoms: As above, when pulling off in 1st, quite often (4 out of 5 times) it jumps back out of 1st. If I hold it in, I can feel quite a knock as it tries to jump out. All other gears are fine (touch wood) although the gearstick does generally feel quite floppy. I've been told the bushes/ball etc on top of the selector turret look ok, and what I can see under the gearstick looks ok. Really hoping it's not something inside the box. Once it's in 1st and hasn't jumped out, it's happy to stop/start on the clutch and will stay in gear. No gear crunching or anything like that.

My thoughts: Having kept hold of my knackered old gearbox and being technically minded (though not always overly competent I:) I have had a couple of ideas that may avoid having to pull the box off and get it refurbed/replaced etc:

1. I can see there are two spring loaded balls (detent?) pressed into the gearbox casing which engage with the selector forks, presumably to hold it in position. If one of theses is weak/seized, could this be a cause?

2. The selector tyrret on top of the gearbox is the bit that physically moves the selector forks back and forth. I've read (on Transit forum - sorry) that these can wear down and cause jumping. I have the one from the old box, would it be worth swapping them out to see if it makes a difference....

...or am I on a fool's errand?

I've scoured the forum for similar issues, there seems to be quite a bit of 5th gear jumping on T4s but not much in the way of 1st gear problems.

I can cope with it as it is most of the time, using 2nd for most starts apart from hill starts, but lets just say its causing some differences of opinion on the domestic front involving ebay, etc.:eek:

I'd welcome any views/comments/suggestions (sensible ones please!), alternatively if any Bristol-based gearbox 'enthusiasts' want to have a ride and offer their views, more than happy to meet up in a suitably empty car park...ooer....

Oh, by the way, the top of the gearbox is a pain to get to due to all the aircon and heater pipes.

Cheers all T:

Andy

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm not sure on this box but the detent springs are a classic cause of jumping out of gear on other vehicles I have known.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
certainly the first thing I will be looking at, although having taken the bellows off tonight, there seems to be an awful lot of slop in the selectors. Also JonnyWatts mentioned that my gearstick was pointing the wrong way - i.e. forwards. I have looked at ELSAWIN and EKTA and he's right, it's all round the wrong way. don't think that will cause jumping out, but will certainly help with being able to reach the bloody thing...loks like someone has put it in the wrong way round at some point, always been the same so I've never known any different.

So, would a weak detent cause problems in first but not second (assuming they are both held by the same ball...?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi AndyDCAG

Did you manage to solve this as I am having the same problem with the same gearbox?

What was the outcome or are you just living with it?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts