VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a meet of the ground in berks, i have a venue for the first meet close to the motorway and easy to find.

One of the other locations we were looking at for future meets. (The lookout) have just confirmed car parking charges, so it will cost £2 for a couple of hours, or £4 for the day to park at the lookout from the middle of this month! thats a bit of a pita as it would have been a great location for a meet.

Its costing the council about £150,000+ to set this all up and they reckon they will get £50,000 pa income so its going to take more than 3 years (allowing for the fact of inflation, drop off in use etc) to get the money back to where they are today, how does that save money in lean times? The councillors where we live really dont have a clue.

The interesting thing the council met this week and confirmed the charges, but... they already had the notices up in the car park saying there was going to be charging! sounds a bit fishy.

ok rant over

john r

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Oh don't get me going on that one. I live in a smallish village and the shops in it have closed down one by one over the last 20 years or so. One of the reasons is the narrow road running through it gets jammed up if anyone parks down there so no parking is allowed. However, there was one free car park at the end of the High Street which got used a lot by locals and other people visiting shops, pubs and restaurants.

So our local council spend a fortune putting in ticket machines and starting to charge. There was even talk of a barrier going up. This all cost a lot of money. And yes you guessed it, since the installation the car park is empty and more shops have closed down.

The local councillors when deciding to take this course of action insisted it was needed to raise much needed revenue for the borough and particularly the village. I think it is going to take a good many years to get their money back on the investment. Loss of income for the shops, loss of income by way of business rates to the council, and no income from an empty car park. It ain't rocket science is it but they just can't see it can they?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
the money men havent got a clue boils my some of the decisions these idiots make,whilst sainsburys deliver their food to their 400,000 mansions :*:*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts