VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..

Hopefully someone can help explain this to me...

So, I just bought a T4 2.4Tdi which turns out not to be LEZ compliant and I live in Croydon, right in the zone, just cost me 100 quid to bring the van home...

I have read about filters that cost an absolute bomb but I have also read that if the vehicle is registered as a motorhome and is below a certain weight then it's exempt.

The van has been fully converted so tomorrow when I get home I shall be photographing all of the relevant required features to have the van reclassified as a motorhome.

The bit I don't understand is reducing the weight, how exactly do you do that or is it complete rubbish ?

Thanks in advance, really don't want to have to lay out 1800 quid for a filter...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK.

So after investigating I now know what the replating thing is..

If I am correct it means that once your van is reclassified as a motorhome you can have the weight downgraded below 2.5 tons as you won't be carrying loads as you would if the van was a traditional van, such as couriers / builders van for instance.

Again, I have consulted the internet and found a whole load of information that isn't particularly clear.

My question is, how do you get your vehicle weight down plated, do you have to take it somewhere to get it tested or do you fill in a form ?

I have read that you need to contact the DVLA and provide them with a weight plate certificate but I can't seem to find any information as to where you would get that certificate from....

I'm going to give the DVLA a call shortly to try and get some clarification but if anyone has any information or experience of this process i'd really appreciate a heads up...

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
146 Posts
www.vintags.com £30.00 will get you a sticker with your choice of gross vehicle weight (i went for 2490kg). Stick this over the one under the bonnet and take a photo. send this off to dvla with the templated letter available on these forums and photo's of your camper. Once the v5 comes back from dvla with vehicle listed as motorcaravan and different weight, take picture of v5 and send this with your picture of the sticker under the bonnet to TfL and a day or two later you can check on TfL website to see if you are compliant. You'll receive written confirmation a few days after that. T:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow !

Thank you all for your advice, so much more helpful than the Audi forums, well, what I experienced anyway...

Does anyone have any experience with the VIN tags option, is it legal, excuse my ignorance but I really don't know enough about it !

I have noticed on a copy of the V5 (only bought the van yesterday) there is no statement against the unladen weight of the vehicle.

I'm happy to take it to a local weigh station and get a certificate to have the weight reclassified, I just need a find a way to get there and back without it costing me a 100 quid, need to find an LEV camera map...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question but why do you need to replate the van to 2.5kG? Almost all T4s appear to be less than 3kG MAM (GVW) which is what I thought the LEZ quotes for motor caravan exemption. Or have I just been looking at the wrong bits of info...

Dave

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sounds like you've got this all in hand T:

Fingers crossed DVLA reclassify with no problems... does your conversion cover all bases regarding windows, cooking facilities, onboard water, table etc... would be horrible to get a nasty surprise from DVLA after jumping through the other hoops :cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I have read the vehicle, in this case a T4 has to be below 2.5T and have the body type classified as a motorhome to be LEZ exempt.

If anyone can clarify this please do but i'm pretty sure i've got it right...

The van has the following installed:

Rock and roll bed
Gas cooker
Sink with onboard water storage and waste
Fridge
Table that fixes to secure fitting on the body work
Storage lockers
Windows fitted on either side of the panels

From what I have read up i'm pretty sure this covers everything required for the van to be reclassified as a motor home body type, will be gutted if it isn't !

·
Registered
302 Posts
From what I have read the vehicle, in this case a T4 has to be below 2.5T and have the body type classified as a motorhome to be LEZ exempt.

If anyone can clarify this please do but i'm pretty sure i've got it right...

The van has the following installed:

Rock and roll bed
Gas cooker
Sink with onboard water storage and waste
Fridge
Table that fixes to secure fitting on the body work
Storage lockers
Windows fitted on either side of the panels

From what I have read up i'm pretty sure this covers everything required for the van to be reclassified as a motor home body type, will be gutted if it isn't !

Sounds about right! T:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet !

Well, this evening I shall be taking many photos of the van for the DVLA, I'll post some of them up later and introdyce myself properly..

Thanks so much for all the advice and feedback,, confident I can stop panicking now and just crack on with getting the van where it needs to be..

Hopefully wont be shelling out 1800 quid for a filter...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Make sure you photograph everything... and try to get the reg plate in shot when you photograph the interior being present with the sliding door open. You don't want to give them any reasons to question it. I got mine back with in a couple of weeks when I did it so hopefully you should be mobile pretty soon! :cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Make sure you photograph everything... and try to get the reg plate in shot when you photograph the interior being present with the sliding door open. You don't want to give them any reasons to question it. I got mine back with in a couple of weeks when I did it so hopefully you should be mobile pretty soon! :cool:
So, one of my other interests is photography, got a wide angle lens that gets so much in a picture, should be able to angle it right to get the reg and the sliding door open with contents visible !!!!

Depending on how they come out maybe I could get a little sideline going photographing conversion for DVLA evidence !

1 - 20 of 51 Posts