VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

just bought my first van/camper. feels so odd to drive but im sure i'll get used to it, its the second vehicle to will barely be used really just for trips/weekends away.

does it look lowered? i want to lower it but after going through the lowering thread mine doesnt appear as high as the ones in the 'before' pics.

also i'd like some styling advice. i think it looks too boring at the moment so want to spice it up a bit, tastefully, so any white modified pics you have would be great

where do i find out the colour? i.e paint code. id like colour coded mirrors, not chrome but no idea what colour to get

had it less than 24 hours and ditched the tribal already. didnt like that at all!

i just feel the whole thing looks dated.

help me bring vinnie into the 21st century :)

thanks

zach

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think all you would have to do to make it look more modern is fitting the 'Devil Eye' DRL headlamps. To be honest it looks pretty S Hot as it is T:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,689 Posts
Hi mate,

I would say you need to lower it a bit, as the wheels don't fit the arches properly. A carefully planned wheel and tyre package will make not only a drastic change in handling but in appearance also.

Vinnie is obviously an early model, as you have the 'older' straight edge bumper. Couple of options you have there, first one is, fit the more rounded bumper from the later model, or look at fitting a kit. Just the front bumper mind .... cause the rest of the kit comes with side skirts, and then the van starts looking OTT in my opinion.

Look here ......... same van, just different 'theme'. >>

As Mr Trouses says, DRL type headlights make a massive difference to the look of the van ( like the ones I have ). Personally, I'm not a great fan of the DRL type headlights, as the high beam isn't that great. But you were saying that your van is for occasional weekends, so you should be fine.

I may stand corrected on this, but I think the paint code can be found on a sticker under the fuse box, near your right knee.

The term 'dated' that you describe is what the purest call 'classic. I wouldn't change too much as you could spoil what is in effect a good looking van.

TURK

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers guys,

well this is a 98 so didnt think it would be 'that' early. but i guess i could definitely look into getting the rounded type bumper. especially if it is a straight swap as you say.

also i was thinking about new headlights, where do people recommend buying them? also do any sellers just sell projector units or do they all come with the r8 style led insert?

cheers again

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,689 Posts
Hi Zach,

The term 'early' just means the model prior to mine, and not meant as an 'old' van if you catch my meaning I:
I never actually said the rounded bumper was a straight fit, couln't comment on that myself as I've never had to do the swap.
I'm sure some guys on here would of done thought, best ask them how they did it.

As for the headlights, I'm pretty sure that 'TidyTransporters' a trader on here, has a special offer on DRL type headlights.
All those types of headlight units incorporate the LED string, as that's how they get the term 'DRL' ( Daylight Running Lights ).

There are many many threads on here concerning headlights, use Google to search the forum by putting 'vwt4forum' in front of your search.

What ever you decide to do, good luck and have fun.

TURK

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers will have a look into bumper /headlights

Will also see if there is a 'how to' for lowering as well

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know I'll have a look.

Cheers flo yours looks a million times nicer! Is your roof sprayed or wrapped?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good news, previous owner changed the bumpers to the older style ones and still has the rounded style ones. Going to pick them up once he has dug them out :)

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,689 Posts
That is good news Zach, they look so much better with the rounded bumpers imo T:
Hopefully he's still got the rear one as well, as I think the 'older' rear bumper comes in 3 sections, the newer style one is one complete unit.

Another 'must have' job that a lot of members do, is the 'short shift' mod.
No money required as it's quite easy for anybody to do. That's if you don't mind getting your hands dirty that is.

Here's the how-to >

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48108

My mechanic did mine a few months ago when I had my van serviced, as he had Lulu up on the hoist ...... took him about 20 minutes !

The difference is absolutely amazing, the gearbox feels more like a direct gear selector than linkages. Gives really sporty feel.

TURK

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks simple enough, thanks for that mate, love little mods like that .

Previous owner has the front and rear bumpers :)

Who do people recommend for the drl headlights? I see a few threads about ones that don't fit right or have terrible light output. Obviously I'd like a good fit and a reasonable light output

Thanks again

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Zachtdi, I agree, change your headlights, new bumper and lose the chrome wing mirrors (colour-code them back to white), and if you look at Turks and flo the rider`s vans, with their alloys and lowered suspension, it changes the whole van`s "stance", making the vans look super-coolT:

Good luck

Ritchie

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh cheers mate that's the plan.

Wing mirrors already white and ditched the roof aerial.

Spoken to a bloke about painting the roof black and de - texturing and colour coding old bumpers. Might even treat it to a full blow over :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yours looks alright on the bumpers mate. I just think on mine it makes it look like an old espace or something.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Doesn't look a bad Van. As you're doing get those later bumpers back on and wind the front down a bit. Get rid of the tacky mirror covers and paint the filler flap.

Personally I like the B pillar between the cab & rear windows in black, either vinyl or painted (vinyl is more reversible if you don't like it).

I wouldn't rush to change the lights, see what it looks like after you've done the cheap/easy stuff, but then I don't really like Dlr style lights.

Post some pics once you've tweaked it :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts