VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travelled 4 hours a few days ago to pick up the van. Got me halfway home and got a flashing coolant light and realised the coolant was leaking out from somewhere. I topped it up and it got me home but I wasnt able to find where it was leaking from, and it was a considerable amount ( a few inches ) in 2 hours. lost a similar amount the remaining 2 hours. Anyway this problem had me a little concerned especially as occasionally in low gears it violently stuttered for a few seconds before becoming ok again.

I drove the van for an hour yesterday evening and noticed the battery light was flashing intermittently but just put it down to the battery being low as I did ave it parked up for a good while when I was playing with the dvd/radio player in it and I thought if i kept driving it would charge it up again. I also noticed my full beams were flickering ever so slightly.

I then woke up this morning for work and tried to start the van and it wouldnt even turn over so I had a friend come and try jumpstart it to no avail. I also noticed the speedometer and temp dials are stuttering and being quite erratic while I tried to start it up (they go up down and up again but quite jittery not smooth). anyway I am kinda stumped to what is up with it really. Could it be the alternator or connections between that and the battery? I am definitly no mechanic but just came across these issues often when googling my problem and wondered if any of you guys had similar issues and could shed some light on it?

When the van did drive and bar the occasional an brief stuttering it drove like a dream and nothing seemed obviously wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, other people will probably come in with the solution to your problem, but I would start with making sure the battery was good.
I had battery problems in my van, after replacing the battery (Exide EA900), I think it turned out to be some corrosion on either the main terminal on the alternator or corrosion in the plug connector on the alternator. I cleaned them up as best as I could and squirted some acf50 in the plug and on the connector. So far everything has been fine.
Personally I would check all the plugs and connectors clean them and squirt some anti corrosion in them.

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,448 Posts
It sounds like you have two separate problems. The mysterious coolant leak could be the water pump. The water pump on a 2.5 is inside the engine and if they fail they can leak into the engine so leaving no coolant leaking on the road. If they are simply just topped up repeatedly the engine oil level will rise since the water added will sink to the bottom of the sump and push the oil up. Check the oil level, if it is high run the engine as little as possible.

For the dash problems, it's best to start with a charging and battery check. A faulty alternator regulator could cause problems with several systems if it causes the alternator voltage to be too high or low, again it is best not to drive unnecessarily until it is fixed.

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,448 Posts
If you do find the oil level very high don't attempt to start the engine at all in case it has water in the combustion chamber, this could cause problems in turning the engine over and can cause terminal engine damage. It may not have this fault but make the oil level check the first thing just to be safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks lads appreciate the help. Yeah I was fairly sure the coolant issue was unrelated to the starting problem too. I dropped her into a garage yesterday and they said they are 90% sure the starting problem was because of the starter motor as everything seems ok and it was temperamental for them when they took it out to test it.

They are going to replace this in the morning and they are currently trying to find the cause of the coolant leak.

The lad in there said to me he is concerned that the turbo us going bad he said there is a fair bit of oil around it. I also noticed some dense white smoke from the exhaust in the mornings that went away as soon as its driven. What do you guys think of this? I didn't notice any issues from a driving perspective. I wont be doing the turbo yet either way if they tell me tomorrow that it needs to be done. Can a failing turbo cause any damage to anything else? Sorry now for the bombardment of questions too

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,448 Posts
The oil leak down the back could be the gasket where the turbo bolts to the block. The turbo oil feed runs through this flange instead of the usual external pipe. If they leak it can make for a lot of oil down the back.

The white smoke could be burning coolant if it turns out that the coolant problem is the water pump. Often if has been repeatedly topped up there will be a large amount of white sludge (emulsified oil) in the oil filler cap. They need to drain the oil and and it comes out like this it is a dead giveaway!

Yes a failing turbo can wreck and engine if it causes oil to be sucked in, or if it breaks up and is drawn in but it can be checked easily enough. The water pump needs eliminating first.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Regarding the electrical issues I had all kind of fault codes on my 2007 2.5 along with a failed ABS module. When that was replaced various codes were still there. I checked all the electrics that I could get to including the main fuses under the battery compartment, a pain to access but worth checking. BUT the main issue I discovered was the main alternator charging cable was slack to the point the nut had nearly fallen off the post, access from underneath essential. Result after that was the codes had gone and the aircon was even vastly improved and had been hit and miss probably due to voltage variations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have check all the connections and all seem ok. Have tried driving with the MAF unplugged too but the stuttering is still there. I changed the fuel and air filter two days ago and all seemed ok for the past few days until this evening the stuttering started again. The revs dont change when this happens and it seems to happen nearly always when accelerating in 1st,2nd and 3rd gear. I noticed the PCV valve sitting on top of the engine had a massive split in the pipe. I have ordered a replacement anyway and should be here soon. Could this explain the stuttering? Really at a loss with it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts