VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Long post - but long weekend, thought I should share my van adventure.

After seeing a seemingly nice 95 Caravelle non runner and trying my luck, this weekend came very good indeed! Got a mate to come with me in 3L van with towbar. 190 miles away. Bought tow pole and snips etc, got on the road. Turned up, got under it, so clean, no rot at all. Open bonnet expecting a 1x 1.9, got a turbo TDI conversion. Not a slug :) New starter, fuel pump, belts, receipts a plenty, even cam belt evidence. Tailgate Caravelle, flip out touch stereo, tv headrests, oak floor in back but all original Caravelle minus seats - good tyres all round and 3/4 tank of diesel. Go to check fuel pump wire, spot a disconnected alternator (came untwisted, finger spliced at conversion haha). Connect, jump, vroom! 拢1000 done deal 馃槏

Got to Portsmouth and park up. See family. Head off to Cornwall, died on the way out of car park - 50yds. It did the pumps worth of diesel and beached me! Ouch. Got passers by to help me push uphill back into car park. 12 quid all day RingGo business.

Got very very ******. Charged brand new battery that came with it ;-) Slept.

Next day, B&Q, Halfords, fuses, 30amp wire, volt meter etc etc. Rewire alternator. Better reading but still no dice.

Spot black wire to constant live hiding, no way seen at night, tiny black fuel pump wire, sure it will work. New spade, wire, spot on. Nope.

Mate checks battery as my head fell off - 'you've wired them to neutral' :) Put on constant live:

VROOM!

We made It home 9pm. Pint and thanks, drive off to go home. Lights almost out, forgot to put the fuse back on alternator, we only went and done the whole journey on that amazing free battery 馃ぃ Got 80% phone charge too lol.

Still got 1/4 tank of free diesel 馃槀馃憤馃憤馃憤馃憤馃total spends including getting hammered and loads of new tools, about 1250 馃槣馃憣

She will be loved - pics to follow!

Full of Cr*p....
Good result.
For future info, remember VW use BROWN as -ve (seems Germans have a sense of humour after all....brown is as close to mud, EARTH colour as you can get) !

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Good result.
For future info, remember VW use BROWN as -ve (seems Germans have a sense of humour after all....brown is as close to mud, EARTH colour as you can get) !
That is a top tip as it seems my alternator isn't working! Was just 2 twisted copper wires hanging out - and loom didn't match alternator hence splice. I did have it wrong too lol nice one.

Edit - it does seem to work, getting 13 or so volts at alternator and battery charging on about 14 if I recall - but front lights are dim anyway/same on both setting. Full beam works and rears. Where do they come through the firewall into the cab? Wondering if wiring is shot.

Registered
The front lights are notoriously dimmmm think they only get 10volts there used to be a wire harness upgrade would check that before anything else.....
enjoy 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Koojo, yeah I had one when I moved to Cornwall and couldn't believe the dimness, but this looks alternator-y to me - deo gonna check and upgrade harness though! Ta :)

Registered
Nice write up mate!

I got my 1.9tdi conv last August sounds very similar to yours.

An empty caravelle too.

I paid 拢2k though which I thought was cheap and to get it MOT prob spent 拢2.5k

New battery and new alterator.

Had a fair few jobs to finish off conversion. As it has air con the PAS pump didn't quite fit correctly. So had to get pump modified to fit properly as it kept throwing belts..

All the best
Gareth

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts