VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Have just become a member of this excellent forum. Basically I currently own a 2007 Ford S-Max 2.0 Titanium Diesel which I bought a year ago for very good money. Though it's a great car, it's a Ford, and having also got a Golf and having owned another Golf and Passat I can't quite get excited about the Ford. It's just not a VW and doesn't feel as durable.

We now have 3 kids and a T5 would be ideal. My reservation is running costs, as we live in rural Devon and clock up about 12k per year. The S-Max does about 47mpg, and I am wondering what sort of mpg I could get from a T5 (and also which engine option is best). I would also like twin sliding doors and a tailgate. Would be looking to spend about 8-9k, so not a massive budget.

Any comments appreciated.

Regards,
Paul

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Hi Paul why don't you come along to a local meet as you will be able to chat to loads of really knowladgeable, friendly van owners we are having one on the 8th of next month and one on the 15th. There is loads of info about them if you click the links at the bottom of my post. T:

·
Premium Member
6,276 Posts
IF you go for a bus as per your spec then you'll probably end up looking at something like this...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201502120890818

If you search Autotrader Cars for a VW Caravelle then you'll find lots of Shuttles as above. The difference is that the Shuttle will have clipped in back seats rather than seats on sliding rails and it will have a few less toys (prob no alloys or foglights but you can add them later if you like).

As Jonny says - its good to have a look at other peoples vans as you'll probably find you can build something based on a panel van which may fit you requirements better.

My 2.5 manual camper does about 30mpg but if you get a short wheelbase van with a 1.9 manual then 40mpg may be possible. I'd avoid a 2.5 auto in Devon as the mpg will be worse than a manual on twisty roads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts