VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got round to hiring a demo bike which was a 2012 orange alpine 160.

First thoughts were very good with smooth travel from both shocks along with being very fast on the downs!!

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has a 160 and would like to give some feedback?

i know you mtb are on here hahaI:

thanks again guys.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My mate sorted an orange demo out where they tested loads of bikes, I couldn't be d so ride the course a few times on my meta. They said the alpine was good pointing down but a bit short off all day riding. Suppose it depends on where you rode and your style.

160 is a lot to pedal round if your not going to give it some real stick!!! 5 for trail riding ;)

What kind of riding do you do?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do ride quite a lot of trails but also like to give it some stick on the down hill part!also I'm looking to spend two weeks in France this year!my girlfriend is getting a neon pink orange 5 pro which is nice but a bit short on travell for me but a excellent all round bike same as the meta!i have a giant reign x2 at the mo with a few bits and bobs which has been very reliable so just fancy a good but wise change!thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Matt from singletrack bought one after reviewing it. He loved it for gravity assisted, but not much fun for longer days + more pedaling.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It's a lot of travel for trails, just think when you have to pedal it around . 140 should easy smash round France. Sometimes it's just over kill. Do you find the reign a slog ? There pretty hard hitting bikes.... Maybe you would enjoy a alpine.... But have you tested the 5 ?

Wouldn't get to hung up on travel, it's really for taking big hits, and if your not going too then it's just pedaling it around for the sake.

But I don't ride with you so wouldn't know :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Depends on where you ride, I have seen many people on these bikes on Downhill uplift days.

I have a lappiere spicy which I sometimes ride in trail centers because I more biased towards downhill I don't mind being slower on the way up. While others I ride with have carbon hard-tails and don't mind being slower on the way down.

There is no right or wrong answer as all bikes are a compromise.

Either way the Alpine is a superb bike and you won't be disappointed

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i can see what you mean as they have 160 mm travel.

i ride a lot of trails but want something that i take to cwmcarn otherwise i may end up with a 5 pro and 224I: but its very expensive to get both.

my giant is quite heavy but i have upgraded the forks breaks and handlbars to suit my riding,very rerliable in all honestly riddden it hard for two years and cant complain.

think i may have to demo a 5 pro soon just to narrow it down.

got a mint anthem x4 for sale with fox forks and shock.pm me if anyone is interested.:)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I bought a Bmc in summer and all i can say is wow

go have a test ride on one if your wanting something that goes up hills as well as down them then they are a brilliant tool

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ride an ASR5 with 120mm Fox/ 15mm maxle. Given the riding i do suits me fine and i never really run out of travel evein in Wales. Cwym Carn DH tracks not included, i prefer hard and fast singletrack. If i was going Alpine i reckon a 140mm front would suit better or 120-140mm adjustment for best of both worlds. As foro the ASR, ive owned a shed load of bikes from single pivot, DW, Mestro, FSR, VPP... and a multitude of hard tails. But this thing is just awesome, absolutely pinned on everything and so well balanced. Just my opinion of course but might be worth a test. They come up big mind T:

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
XC riding for me.

Stumpjumper HT with every bit apart from the frame upgraded - all X0/XTR, Rockshox SIDS, etc, blah blah. Sub 22lbs and a racing snake.

Do a lot of night riding, did one off road tri on it (and somehow won :eek:) and ride a fair bit in general.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Its a strange old thing the whole suspension travel debate, and from my experience its amazing (in a good way) how each individual finds varying bikes. I ride everyweek on a monday night witha group of mates ive know since we were 5-6 yrs old. We have a selection on routes but all are 23-27 miles of single track, typical unused by-ways, with a few tasty descents to keep you concentrating. The range of bikes (in a group of 7) range from my mates 160mm trek scratch air with single front ring and ten on the back, to plenty of 4-5 in full sussers (marin mount vision, scott spark) and me flying the hardtail flag with a genesis latitude ti. We all have bits of the route that suit our bikes more, but what is so evident is how each bike suits each rider. I could never haul a 160mm full susser round all night (i'm too light and feel like the bike is taking me for a ride) and visa versa my mate with the trek hates my hardtail (well he is a downhiller at heart!). nothing like a bike that suits you to instill confidence, which equally makes you faster. T:T:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i agree that every bike suits a rider and coming from a motocross backround i like to feel what im riding.

trek scratch is a cracking bike but single on the front is quite tough.

i just favour the alpine as im 17st and a rugby player, just seem to be nice and strongalong with being quite versitile on trails.

thanks again guysT:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sounds like you know what you're looking from your bike which is the best starting point. I'm only 10 1/2 st which kinda dictates the bike ive got a bit!! happy purchasing T:T:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just bought the giant anthem x 29er full suss yeh i know 29er but christ its fast on the ups n downs such a great machine i am completely sold on it highly recommend

·
Registered
875 Posts
Mojo rider here, if the Apline 160 had a Talas fork it may do better wound down for xc days... talas 36 on mine is very good. Use it all the time. makes a big difference.

Nice bikes the Orange's, Mrs Rickmeister has a 5 and loves it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
think the alpine is going to get purchased in neon yellow with white rimsT:T:

ye same here rick my mrs loved that 5 so i think shes going to get one in the next few weeks.

the talas felt nice whilst coming down the whites at glyncorwg which is quite rough on the final decent.

also the rear shock is kashima but with more pro pedal options which are very usefull.

what bike do you ride with mojo?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts