VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As the thread title suggests, I've just taken delivery of my first T4. She's an 800 special SWB 1.9 (not sure what the 800 special stands for?)

I already have loads of questions on what i can do to her to make my life and her's just that little bit more enjoyable, without the VW boffins back in Wolsburg being too offended.

So Where do we start? If anyone can offer advice on the below elements I'd be very gratefull.

1. Wheels - what should i go for, Size (wheel) Size (tyre)
2. Interior - would like to have some long weekends in her, but not spend weeks on end - I have a little one so i may need a seat just for him, the Mrs will be fine in the front, as long as she has her comforts!!
3. Roof Bars - I quite like the idea of roof rails to transport things, maybe bikes or a roof box. I have read that Sharan roof rails fit so i brought some. They look a little more work than first anticipated so any advice would be great.
4. Electrics - seperate battery with charger? mains hook up - do i need it?

I have loads more, but appreciate your time reading this far. I would really appreciate your valuable experience and advise, Cheers, Andre.

H:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the money pit I: Choices of things are endless and depend on personal preference, I'd recommend going through some of the threads and using the search button. It can take some time going through them but can prove invaluable. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi there - I bought the same van about twelve months ago - it is now our family "adventure bus" - the 800 special is a nice van as it has twin captain's seats in the front, a lift up tailgate, disc brakes all round and some other extras that I can't remember. We have removed the half bulkhead in ours and put some fasp seat swivels in. We have also put a row of three seats behind the front row and put tinted windows in the panels behind the driver's and passenger seats (my neighbours must think I am either a pimp or a drug dealerI:). Got some roof bars for it and put our open canoe on it when we are on our adventures. We have also had a full respray done -have been so busy exploring that we have not got round to doing the carpet inside yet....Yes it is a money pit but worth it particularly if you've got small children - we have spent far less than what we would have done on a decent people carrier but have a more versatile vehicle and twice the fun. Enjoy your new van:ILU:

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
oh mines an 800 special to,as therteam mentioned a few extra its also the weight it can carry apparently ie 800kg,not sure what other extras's some did some didnt have them all put on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts