VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

decided i really must do something about my standard stereo. The original speakers are blown- courtesy of the previous owner, and the original vw head unit only plays tapes (wtf are they? :* )

So i'm currently looking at one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JVC-KW-XR611-Double-Din-CD-MP3-WMA-Car-Stereo-Front-USB-/270713477797?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3f07c7daa5

I like the fact that you can add a hands free kit and a DAB reciever, but would like to know if anyone has tried these and what their thoughts are?

As mentioned i also need to change the speakers in the front of the van- the originals are toast.

what are the standard speaker sizes? and where are they located? is it just a pair in the doors? or have vw fitted some in the top of the dashboard as well?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'd rather get all the parts in my hands before i start pulling my van to bits to fit them all.

Any tips for good upgrades that won't break the bank?

thanks for the advice,

nathan

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hi,

It does not take much to be an upgrade to the Beta, but that JVC unit looks good. Ive got an XG-701 and many of the features are similar; it has a fair degree of poke and is well specced. i dont do radio so cant comment on DAB - but the iPod functionality is very good T:
For speakers - i think that there are tweeters in the dash somewhere + door speakers; not sure of sizes until i strip them out. Ill be going for Vibe speakers cos i like them - just make sure you use good cable

rob

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Yes, the new range of JVC units are very good and excellent value for money.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have the xr811 & find the bluetooth comes in very handy, not only to make & receive calls, but i can sit in the back & can control music from my phone and use the remote to adjust the volume.
The standard stereo sounded rubbish, but when we changed to this stereo, its almost like i have upgraded the speakers too.... the sound clarity is so much better.
Cant fault the JVC, you can adjust the colours to the dash lights too, although the blue/purple isn't an exact match, its pretty close.

When our van is all complete i aim to have a removable speaker box in the rear, for sound in the back & move it too the gazebo/tent when were outside.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys T:

It looks like they are the way forward.

Just need to get the speakers sorted. my current speakers have that horrid "flappy" sound to them when you turn the volume up to a level where i can hear it I:

So whats worth looking at for those? i used to have calibre components in the front doors of a previous car, and they sounded amazing, and they actually looked like they were capable of handling the power levels quoted. As these still around? or is there another manufacturer that offers good value kit, that won't get fried as soon as i wind the volume up?

Thanks again,

nathan

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the xr811 & find the bluetooth comes in very handy, not only to make & receive calls, but i can sit in the back & can control music from my phone and use the remote to adjust the volume.
The standard stereo sounded rubbish, but when we changed to this stereo, its almost like i have upgraded the speakers too.... the sound clarity is so much better.
Cant fault the JVC, you can adjust the colours to the dash lights too, although the blue/purple isn't an exact match, its pretty close.

When our van is all complete i aim to have a removable speaker box in the rear, for sound in the back & move it too the gazebo/tent when were outside.

Just checked the XR811 specs and it's pretty much spot on what I am after for my '06 T5.

How did you instal your unit mate? Is it a straightforward 'plug and play' once the standard unit is taken out?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Just checked the XR811 specs and it's pretty much spot on what I am after for my '06 T5.

How did you instal your unit mate? Is it a straightforward 'plug and play' once the standard unit is taken out?

Cheers
You will need to buys a fakra lead for the aerial to convert the VW "square" connection to the traditional "round type connection
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180562196702 £3.30

make sure you get the correct loom lead when ordering the stereo as once again VW use a different kind (sorry i cant remember the name),
Other than that its easy to install
uncrew the cage from the unit, fit into slot, bend the tabs to hold it in place, (lift up top dash panel/tray) to make easier access to route the wiring easier when you do this part, slide the JVC unit into place. Screw the stereo back to the cage (4 screws) put the black surround back onto face. Job Done.
I can take pics of mine if you want? pm me for details or look through my build thread to see it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You will need to buys a fakra lead for the aerial to convert the VW "square" connection to the traditional "round type connection

make sure you get the correct loom lead when ordering the stereo as once again VW use a different kind (sorry i cant remember the name),
uncrew the cage from the unit, fit into slot, bend the tabs to hold it in place, (lift up top dash panel/tray) to make easier access to route the wiring easier when you do this part, slide the JVC unit into place. Screw the stereo back to the cage (4 screws) put the black surround back onto face. Job Done.
I can take pics of mine if you want? pm me for details or look through my build thread to see it.
Many thanks for your speedy and detailed response Cak. I'll take a look through your build thread first and get back to you via PM.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Got the same set up as you Cak - but can't get mine to powere on/off at ignition - did buy a loom/ISO connector thingy for it but for some reason this didn't work as expected and had to swap the red/yellow wire - which wire provides live power on ignition?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts