VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone any opinion on K & N air filters?
I am just considering a direct replacement type into the standard air box on my 03 888 special.
I am after that little bit more power when towing my caravan. I:
Do they affect MPG at all?
Can anyone recommend a dealer?
cheers

·
Registered
882 Posts
I had a chat with someone about this - and we both thought that it would be better to fit on of the green cotton filters in the standard airbox - just because its getting cleaner air. I might be totally wrong - but it seemed to make sense.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
I will say it again.... lets go round again and again and again.Not a dig at you mate at all.

K&N air filters DO NOT increase power at all i have proven this on the dyno at work time and time again.The best thing about K&N air filters is you can clean them and re-use them but if you have a 2.5TDI do not oil the filter or use a pre oiled filter because the oil will seriously shorten the life of your £80 Mass Air Flow meter:no

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will say it again.... lets go round again and again and again.Not a dig at you mate at all.

K&N air filters DO NOT increase power at all i have proven this on the dyno at work time and time again.The best thing about K&N air filters is you can clean them and re-use them but if you have a 2.5TDI do not oil the filter or use a pre oiled filter because the oil will seriously shorten the life of your £80 Mass Air Flow meter:no
Well there’s another urban myth put to rest. As you clearly have some nice pieces of kit to play with have you checked out any of the “chip” mods. Are there any better than others or some to AVOID.

Jimbo are the Green cotton filters just standard ones or are they something special too?

Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
882 Posts
Not too sure m8 - think they are more efficient than standard filters.
Cheers aggie, didnt know that! I'll stick to standard filter then!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've done 45k 4years with a K&N filter, while they may not increase hp they do stay at max efficiency a lot longer than your common or garden paper filter. Also regarding maf sensors, I've never had a problem with mine (although it is a petrol, maybe they're different?)If it's a long time between scheduled filter replacement then you could be running your van at less than 100% for a fair few miles, starved of precious oxygen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts