VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a right mare on the Treweryn today. Been out of action for a long time to due paralyse from a motorbike accident and decided to get into some white water again. This time went in a creeker thinking the massive volume would make up for my reduced strength and control.

Oh, was I wrong! I was used to paddling my Jackson Allstar but I can't last more tha:eek:n 5 minutes in a playboat before getting cramp now. The creeker was a nightmare to turn and basically took me where the river and boat wanted to go.

This all resulted in my first swims (yes! plural) in about 5 years, and very bruised/cut limbs as the water level was so low.

So creekers are out the window for me. Time to look for a large volume, playful river runner!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't give up on the creeker straight away!
I've been paddling for some time now and have had everything from play boat to creeker. Currently I've got a dagger mamba and it's a superb boat. But it is so much bigger than your old jackson. It will take time to adjust to your boat.

I don't know the extents of your injuries, but a friend of mine did something similar a few years ago and she's just got back into paddling this year. She's finding it tough, but possible. It's little things like not being able to use her hips to edge the boat and so having to adapt a leaning technique with some good low bracing.

Honestly stick with it and the big boats will reward you.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was in a Dagger Nomad. Its really round and I have the same problem as your friend, I dont have any hip flick or strength in my legs. As a playboater I now realised I relied heavily on my legs and abs far more than I thought.

Definitely need to go back to basics as I realised I was putting loads of negative strokes in to compensate for my weak left side.

The Mamba is less round and has rails so might be a bit easier for me. I need to get myself to HPP and try out a load of boats in a more forgiving environment than a shallow rocky river. Bit of dedication and a bit more swimming I think!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Definitely don't give up on the creek boats. If you were in a Nomad and are used to an Allstar that might be a problem (nomad has round edges, displacement hull comapare to playboat edges with planning Hull).
My Magnum turns far quicker getting into eddies etc than my Astro ever will.
Give me a shout next time you go to HPP and i will see you can borrow a mates Jackson Hero (creeker with playboat edges) Its a team boat so you should be good to have a go.
We usually go up on Wednesday evenings as it is only a £5 to get on after 17:00.
If you want to come up with us I can give you some coaching if you likeT:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate that Ben. The main problem is my lack of strength and core stability and rapid fatiguing, on top of not doing a lot of paddling in the last 3 years.

Been chatting to some friends today and I think I would prefer something more playful rather than a full on creeker. I would stick with my All Star if it didn't give me cramp. I am holding onto it because physically I am improving all the time and hope to be able to use it properly again one day.

My thoughts have been towards something like a Wavesport Diesel. I had thought about the Fuse and getting rid of the All Star but I don't know if I would have the strength to have as much fun in a playful river runner.

Anyway, I will have to take you up on the offer sometime. Its like learning to paddle for the first time again. Will have to get into as many boats as possible and see what I get on with.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Get a trampoline:jmpg

Seriously most of the top freestylers use a trampoline to practice. You use almost the same muscles.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
I dont have any hip flick or strength in my legs. As a playboater I now realised I relied heavily on my legs and abs far more than I thought!
Get a trampoline:jmpg

Seriously most of the top freestylers use a trampoline to practice. You use almost the same muscles.

neneben did you read the posts :D

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im sure Ben's suggestion was an honest one. Not sure how it works though. Are they sitting in their boat on the trampoline? Would need a pretty big one!

Im certainly not near pro standards, but it wont be long!T: So I think for now I will concentrate on just staying in the boat and try not to swim.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was being serious. Admittedly it won't help much with your hip flick but it will give greater core stability and help build up your legs, stomach and back muscles.

Try going from a normal standing jump postion to sitting with your legs out in front of you then back to you feet. A few minutes of that is like a two hour session on Hurley on 3.

It should help with your forward paddling and give you more stability when braceing so reduces the risk of capsizeing in th first place.

and yes I have seen and tried going on trampoline in a boat. It's good until your boat goes to the edge and there is nothing you can do about going head first off the trampoline!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can't hurt giving it a go. I spend hours a week doing various rehab so its nice to try something new. Just have to find something to bounce onLOL:

Still on the look out for a river runner/creeker if anyone knows of anything up for grabs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts