VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are plenty of kayakers on here, but there are no recent discussions on this subject.

We'll be putting ours to use as a "dive-yak" as soon as the daylight hours have increased a bit and I want to get a waterproof (really waterproof!) handheld to take with us.

Any preferences? Standard Horizon? Icom? Midland?.

It'll be travelling in a pocket on the back of the seat - I know on the pfd is best, but we're going to be diving at least some of the time - and will mainly be there for use in emergencies, not for routine radio traffic.

Roll on Spring!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's two for icom then.

Trawling around the web, a lot of kayakers (fishing) seem to like the Standard Horizon units - 280 waterproof but not a good floater, 290 waterproof and floats.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
That's two for icom then.

Trawling around the web, a lot of kayakers (fishing) seem to like the Standard Horizon units - 280 waterproof but not a good floater, 290 waterproof and floats.
You cant go wrong TBH with Icom bud, all the Coastguard teams use them and they take some stick too T:T:

You cant cut corners with radio's bud, it can be the difference between life and death :ILU:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Icom, every time, no question. I'm a professional mariner, have used a variety of kit over the past 30 years and had opportunities to speak with many other people who earn their living from the sea; fishermen, yachtsmen, divers, etc, etc. Icom is no.1 for radio kit.

As mentioned above, and I'm sure you would anyway, always let the Coastguard know your plans (no. of people, locations, eta back ashore, etc) and carry those in-date flares in a waterproof canister. A few years ago I was involved in locating a group of kayakers in not particularly bad weather of the north Wales coast at night and flares really are a lifesaver.

By the way, I did have a chuckle about it starting to stay lighter longer; it hardly seems to have got light in Liverpool for a week now!

Have fun and stay safe.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
As mentioned above, and I'm sure you would anyway, always let the Coastguard know your plans (no. of people, locations, eta back ashore, etc) and carry those in-date flares in a waterproof canister. A few years ago I was involved in locating a group of kayakers in not particularly bad weather of the north Wales coast at night and flares really are a lifesaver.
Agreed, if you can find a Coastguard station where they have a clue about local knowledge that isn't 200 miles from your location. Sorry, couldn't help but have a pop, poxy government (i'm ex Coastguard and yes they are closing my station which was why i handed my notice in). Really missing the job :(

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flares too?

Blimey, no wonder the kayak (SOT dive-yak) was such a bargain!

Getting a radio. Already got flag pole & International A flag, strobe, "Divers down" DSMB*, waterproof first aid kit.

Hardly any room left for us & the dive kit.

* = 'delayed surface marker buoy' utilised as a vertical banner.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Head is really spinning now. Too much internet research.
Apparently "fully waterproof" units probably aren't.
Most guaranteed waterproof units will probably let in water & fail but you will get a free replacement from the manufacturer - if you're still alive.
Even Icom, reportedly "the best" but batteries and battery contacts tend to fail/corrode.
External battery charging contacts are a no-no.
Non-rechargable battery packs are best option (for kayaking) but probably not available.
The advice is that you need to put it in a waterproof bag but that'll hasten it's demize if even the smallest drop of moisture gets in.

Really there aren't any ideal units for kayaking, especially kayak diving where you are probably just as likely to get things good and wet as in any other activity.
(Surprising how many waterborne activities have a high priority for staying dry as much as possible)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I used to have Motorola units for years & years @ work.
Also the Eex-proof ones, allthough that hardly is essential here.
They are however expensive & programmable for set privat frequencies where applicable (costs involved)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, tried all the usual suspects & can't find any motorola marine handeld units over here.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I've managed to get hold of a used Cobra 325 at a giveaway price but I want to get another unit so that the "surface cover" can have one to monitor us from the van.

I'm wondering if it's worth getting a DSC unit for the Kayak?

Considering what we're doing (scuba diving), the unit on the kayak is highly likely to get a dunking at some time, and from what I've read on the web, "waterproof -submersible" is not something that can reliably be applied to any make or model (it just means that you'll get a free replacement from the manufacturer when the unit floods).

DSC handhelds are , not surprisingly, a lot more expensive than standard units and might be a bit OTT for shore based kayak diving.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a reasonably priced DSC handheld?

Shall I just go for anothe standard unit?

Getting expensive this "budget" extended shore diving lark.

BTW: Booked in for a Marine Short Range radio Course next month.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually got it in the water at the weekend.

Note: no scuba gear as we wanted to see how it handled & practise getting back on after a dive

( clip the bcd & tanks etc onto a lanyard, boost up, belly flop across seat then roll over onto your back - dead easy actually)

This was down at Kimmeridge Bay, Dorset. Loads of vans around

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Dont know if you got sorted, but as mentioned above, 'Aquapak'! Brilliant bit of kit for about £20. They do all sorts of versions, ie, phones, handhelds etc.... I carry my iphone in one, and has been submerged quite a few timesI:

Also put phone in it when down the beach for the day, to keep the sand out:D

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dont know if you got sorted, but as mentioned above, 'Aquapak'! Brilliant bit of kit for about £20. They do all sorts of versions, ie, phones, handhelds etc.... I carry my iphone in one, and has been submerged quite a few timesI:

Also put phone in it when down the beach for the day, to keep the sand out:D
We've ended up buying a Standard Horizon HX851E radio, which is claimed to be " submersible" but will probably be buying an Aquapak as added protection. We may also get a couple to keep the mobile phones in, as we don't want to leave them on the beach.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Defo on the Aquapak. I was Helicopter Search and Rescue and after a rescue of 2 sailors in sea state 6, gale force winds in which I got very wet diving under an upside liferaft my iphone still worked perfectly. Big thumbs up T:
Icoms are pretty good also

1 - 19 of 19 Posts