VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i said keep seeing these threads on pot holes knackering ball joints and aberdeen roads are so bad, is it worth replacing the ball joints just in case as they don't seem expensive about £15 each , is it a big job to do and do you need any special tools? :*

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one got any opinions on this? my vans done 190k now and ive lowered it so i'm a little concerned as it does know on bump roads???

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Do they knock over bumps?? Which ball joints are you talking about, upper or lower?? Lowers go frequently and knocking is the first sign, whereas the uppers go less frequently. Either way the best thing to do first is to get a pry bar under them and check for excess play T:T:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've got some history but havent seen anything about ball joints in it, they do seem to knock on the lumpy back roads that we have around here, ive seen them top and bottom on ebay for under a tenner each should i just bite the bullet and change them for piece of mind? as we are planning on doing quite a few miles this summer

also saw a ball joint tool for £200 i dont need one do i???? or any special tools? :*

cheers for the replys guys

·
Registered
29 Posts
its the top ball joints you will have problems with, i changed all four on my van but i did buy the sealey tool to press the top ones out and press the new one in, i must say it was a doddle with the tool and dont envy anyone having to do it without the tool, i may be wrong there may be a special way to it but it cant be easy!
good luck with it all!

·
Registered
617 Posts
They will clonk on hiting some wholes, never done a top one but have done the lower ones and about an hour to do, need a tool tho,they will wear your tyres AND they have been known to come apart, with serious damage, so better to have them checked or replaced

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi my offside was knocking and squeaking so did both at the weekend wasn't to bad didn't use a special tool just knocked the top one out and the bottom one is quite easy,found it easier to remove the hub completely. Glad I did them as the top I've was in a really bad way loads of play in it also noticed the anti roll bars bushes are worn too and are knocking too. Mite be worth checking them while ur under there. Drives a lit better now.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Sounds like mine have gone too. Any thoughts on whether VW original parts are worth the investment?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts