VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
I used to tow a Bailey Senator too (belonged to the folks so was free to borrow as and when I liked) which was a great van.
I have a Coachman Wanderlux 19/5 now. A nice upgrade on the Bailey. I'd recommend having a good look around a caravan suppliers as the quality of builds varies. Simple things like quality of fitments, door latches etc. kitchen appliances and upholstery etc. The Wanderlux was 拢14k when we bought it. Probably closer to 11 or 12 now but still looks great and hugely spacious.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
I not even thought about what insurance will be to be honest, will need to look into that too.

Registered
Just had my renewal offer for 拢163 with the caravan & motorhome club. My caravan is a 2007 Lunar Delta single axle worth about 拢5000 these days. Tows like a dream with my 174. Only does about 25 MPG though. You can even get it down to 22 MPG if you don't want to bother slowing down for the hills. ;-)

If you haven't towed before good loading is key and with a van you can have plenty of noseweight which helps. The only other no-no is speeding down big hills. If ever you see a caravan overturned it is nearly always at the bottom of a long hill or it had a burst tyre. It's worth checking the date codes on tyres and replacing them every 7 or 8 years to be safe because they deteriorate by standing for long periods.

The more miles you tow the more you can cope with lorries and crosswinds. Double axles are more stable but harder to manoeuvre I'm told. I would never own a caravan without a motor mover now having had one on this caravan. We have been to some lovely spots and had some great times towing in Europe.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Cheers t5tdi, i towed loads, in my younger days i worked in the plant hire industry and i have my class 1 so plenty experience.

I been drawn to the lunar vans to be honest, some nice examples out there.

Will prob buy end this year and hopefully bag a wee bargain .

馃憤馃憤馃憤馃憤

Registered
Ours have been fine but I keep reading about serious damp problems. They can affect quite a few British caravans so it's important to get a full damp check and keep an eye on it annually. Lunar went into liquidation and got taken over by another lot. The new firm is a bit of an unknown and doesn't seem to have really got going yet. There are some nice looking vans about and they are so well equipped these days. My first caravan in the seventies had gas lamps and the fridge was a wooden box set into the floor! These days even my 13 year old thing has a fitted microwave, external gas bbq and 240v points 3- way fridge and 4 burner hob. Very comfy, I used to work away from home in it for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, a total of 16 weeks a year and it was fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Went for a nose today, i think the Bailey and swift caravans seem better quality fixtures and fittings, just need to decide on the layout we fancy ,its a fekin minefield lol .馃憤

Registered
I'm sure you know anyway but there is some good advice online once you have sifted out the usual forum dross. I'd say if you are not needing to have room for kids/grandkids go for the luxury and space of a two berth, don't bother with the faff of making up the the double every night, just enjoy the comfort and coolness of two separate beds for a couple of weeks!

A simple conversion pulling a caravan has been a dream of ours too. Dump the caravan on a nice site in say Greece and take the van on the small inter-island ferries for exploring. 馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Advice from a caravaner please,we are going to buy a used caravan out with our local area, van is 5 yrs old and fully serviced.

An engineer at my wife's work has told her she needs to buy in her local area as servicing has to be done where van has come from , this has to be total false surely.

If i book it into any qualified caravan centre garage/service station or even book the mobile engineers who can do it on site in my drive surly that is sufficient.

As i say this sounds totsl poppycock to me but i have never owned or been involved in caravans.

Cheers, 馃馃馃

Registered
If its under warranty then it has to be a recognised place that carries out any work .
If its 2nd hand you dont 'have' to service it at all if you choose not to or you can use whoever you like.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts