VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

What are your thoughts on keeping the original carpet in the Caravelle for use as insulation and put my lino/vineer over it? It's a plastic covered foam with carpet over it. I'm thinking if it's good enough for VW it'll probably do the job?

Can anybody see any problems with this approach? First build cheers

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I would remove it, despite the fact that I can’t see it causing any problems from a material perspective: it’s super quality and has bitumen and plastic membranes to prevent damp. The difficulty would be how high it is after it has ply and vinyl floor put in top.

If you remove the carpet, you have a fair bit of room to put the ply & flooring in to match up with the step. If you leave the carpet, you will be well above the step. Would also be difficult securing anything to the floor with such a thick multiple layer floor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh so the black stuff that was all over the place under the carpet was Bitumen? I had no idea what it was, took forever to clean off! it must have seeped out of the plastic over the years.

If I am to seperately insulate the floor, I have 10M of Thermoliner that I was going to do the walls with (Not the roof as pop top once I gather the courage to cut the roof off...)

Would the Thermoliner do the floor too or should I use something else?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anybody kept the original Caravelle doorcards/interior panels in a conversion ? Torn between carpet/wood or keep the lot

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Has anybody kept the original Caravelle doorcards/interior panels in a conversion ? Torn between carpet/wood or keep the lot

I left all my trim in as it was in good condition and just removed to insulate it...take a look at my albums T:

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Thanks for that, she's a lovely Bus A:
Thanks...made new covers for the seats since, and currently getting a few bits of the bodywork done..good luck with your project T:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Delboy, i'm about to do my 03 velle. did you keep all the original trim behind the cupboards or loose it to make more space? what about the blower? especially the bit in the boot, it takes up quite a bit of space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts