VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm new to the forum, VWs and conversions - so this is a completely new adventure for me!

Bought a 2010 1.9 TDi that had previously been used as a sparks van. Seemed in good nick, few scratches and dents etc. on the inside, as you would expect, but wasn't a problem as most of it is going to be covered.

Anyway - on to the build! (Sorry, this first post is LONG - got a lot done this week!)

----
Pulling the ply floor up:

----
The Mrs cleaning underneath:

----
Removing the bulk head:

----
Pulling the panels off:

----
My technique for pulling these pains of clips out.

----
Bought two second hand rear quarter windows for £50 (bargain!) off eBay, so removing all the old bonding glue with a razor blade:

----
Marking up the cut marks for the window:

----
Checking to see where the cuts would line up with the windows (sliding door windows supplied by the lovely chaps over at VGC in Birmingham - thoroughly recommended!):

----
Drilling through to check it's all sound on the inside:

----
Papering to protect the paintwork from the angle grinder sparks:

----
Mrs looking very happy with her work!

----
Practicing with the angle grinder:

----
ANGLE GRINDING:

----
Using a jigsaw to round out the corners:

----
First window cut out:

Dead chuffed:

Me and me Dad:

----
Both windows cut out:

----
Hammering the inner skin so the rubber window trim will fit around both inner and outer skin:

----
After hammering and grinding the edges this is the result (right, before / left, after):

----
Offering up the trim and carpet to make sure it all fits - snug as a bug!

----
The Mrs priming the bare edges:

----
Taking the doors off getting ready to paint. Carpet is too thick and there seems to be no good line to finish them, so I've bought a can of paint to match the carpet (beige) so going to give it a go!

----
Prising the plastic handle fascias off:

----
Getting ready to panel wipe / de-grease:

----
Masking off the paint areas:

----
All masked off!

----
Rubbing down with wet and dry paper:

----
Filling dents with filler and scratches with primer:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for the kind words. Hoping to get some more done next weekend with some more piccies! Pop top arrived the other day, which is going to be interesting to say the least...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
----
Pop Top has arrived thanks to Stew at West Dubs.

----
And sink has arrived too!

----
First and second layers of primer on the doors:

----
Filling dents again, which show up a bit better once primed.

----
Unfortunately ran out of metal primer at this stage, so had to move on to cutting the bulkhead to fill the gaps in the trim.

You want to cut the top 'L' section from this direction, otherwise you'll go through the part at the top and cut a hole in it:

And then you want to do the rest of it from this side so you can follow the contour:

----
Perfect tool for the job

----
Working up a sweat (took between 30 mins and an hour to cut out for each side, not including rubbing down.)

----
Bit ropey, but if you leave enough clearance from the edge - when it's rubbed down it'll look lovely!

----
Starting to rub it down with sandpaper

----
Looking good!

----
Primed with plastic primer and ready for painting

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
----
Starting to pull the interior trim out now to get ready for cutting the roof out.

Light removed:

----
Handles off

----
Pulling the sun visor bracket off, but had to make this tool to help prise it off.

And it's off!

----
(Grubby) shelf is off!

----
Prised the top of the B-Pillar off. It just has three of these clips on the inside.

----
And the top trim is finally off!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
----
The Mrs' de-greasing and priming the pop top supports:

----
Putting the pop top on the van temporarily, just to see if it will still fit in the garage after it's fixed:

----
Winching the van into the garage to make sure there's clearance:

It's tight:

And it's there!

----
Marking up the roof with masking tape with where to cut:

----
Pulled the seats out so they don't get ruined when the cutting starts:

----
Testing the new driving position:

----
Drilling the rear roof rack holes out. Some Caddys come with all 8 drilled out, but some of them only come with the front 6 drilled. This Caddy only had the front 6 so I'm drilling the back 2 here:

----
Cutting the front third of the roof out:

----
These cross beams were a pain in the . The jigsaw blade was slightly too short to get through, so kept bouncing out. Ended up having to angle grind it from below which really set us back:

----
It's out!

----
Drilling holes ready to pop rivet the strengthening beam to the van roof:

----
Preparing the strengthening beam with glue to stick to the roof and pop rivet:

----
Pop riveting. There are four really large pop rivets along the top, and four smaller ones on the struts. This fixing seemed REALLY strong.

----
Clamping the strengthening beam to the roof to make sure the glue creates a nice bond.

----
Cutting the rest of the cross beams out:

DONE for the weekend!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another weekend and more progress on the van. It's starting to get exciting now!

----
Cutting out the rest of the van roof:

----
Clamping it on the inside to make sure it doesn't fall through:

----
And it's out!

----
Drilling out the spot welds of the bracket that holds the shelf above the drivers seat as it gets in the way of the side beams:

----
Drilling and glueing the side supporting beams ready for pop riveting to the inner and outer flanges:

----
Clamping and wedging everywhere possibly to make sure that the bonding glue gets good contact throughout:

----
Pop riveting the side beams - already done the top here, so moving on to the bottom:

----
Bollix. Broke the bloody pop riveter!

----
Slid the pop top on:

----
Propping it up so we can get the bolts in:

----
And it's on! Attached the gas struts and it sits there quite happily.

----

And that's it for this weekend. Taking a break for a few weeks, but then back on to securing the canvas to the roof and painting various bits, cutting out the other windows and then fitting the windows.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I find this thread inspiring and have often considered getting a Caddy as it can be used as a daily driver or family car. Great pictures and feels like its taking us through all the steps! Enjoy the conversion its one of the most fun (but back breaking and hard work) bits I reckon! Looks like you have the use of a good workshop there too which helps as I had to do my Reimo roof on my T4 out in the street with double decker buses going past!

Cheers

Aaron

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find this thread inspiring and have often considered getting a Caddy as it can be used as a daily driver or family car. Great pictures and feels like its taking us through all the steps! Enjoy the conversion its one of the most fun (but back breaking and hard work) bits I reckon! Looks like you have the use of a good workshop there too which helps as I had to do my Reimo roof on my T4 out in the street with double decker buses going past!

Cheers
Aaron
Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad people are finding it interesting! Yeh, I'm certainly grateful for the access to the garage, and wouldn't fancy doing it in the street with buses going past, so big props to you for taking that one on!

looking good dude :ILU:
Thanks very much! I feel it's getting somewhere near a camper now haha...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your interest. I didn't get chance to work on it the weekend just gone, and won't be able to this weekend coming either. Looking to proceed on the 21st Feb where there will be an update after the weekends work.

Thanks again for your support, and you should definitely give it a go! (And if you do, and need any advice - give us a shout).

All the best,
Fred

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right, it's been a while! Managed to get some time on the van this weekend just gone and got a fair bit done.

----
Bought a new pop riveter after the last one broke and is an absolute dream to use in comparison. Finishing riveting the strengthening beams:

----
Next step was to drill all the way through the last two roof rack holes (as my Caddy didn't have them). I'd already drilled these holes, but now have to drill all the way through the supporting beams so I can get a long bolt in.

----
Using a tap to cut a thread for the bolt to screw in to.

----
Holding up the pop top while my old man screws the bolts in.

----
And it's in!

----
Cutting off a 'V' in the straight of the supporting beam so I can pop rivet it down and allow it to follow the body work contour.

----
Using an angle grinder to finish the above off.

----
Pop riveting the remaining flat flush with the body.

----
And it's finished! Will look really neat once carpeted.

----
Getting ready to cut out the next window.

----
Angle Grinding the straights.

----
Jigsawing the corners.

----
And it's out.

----

And that's it for this update! Next on the list is to finish off the window (hammering the sill/flange and angle grinding the rough parts) and cutting the other window (on the sliding door), strap the canvas down for the pop top and then we need to start thinking about electrics and carpeting!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts