VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Hopefully you are able to help me on this one.
Got a 525dab in a Kombi 5.1 2010. Have Downloaded latest paid for 2016 City navigator Europe maps to micro sd card 16gb via Garmin express.
and have done the following;
1.Gone to van with new micro sd card.
2.Opened map update screen then it says insert sd card
3.Insert sd card and select ok
this is what happens;
1. Loading Maps.... on a white background box
2.This then disappeared in about 10 seconds
3.Have left like this with van running for a couple of hours.

The map does not update to the DNX525 hard drive, The map does show up in "my maps" and functions ok but, when you take out the sd card the unit reverts to 2014 map.
The reason I want it on the hard drive is so I'm able to play music on an inserted sd card, I don't want the sd card with the latest map permanently in the sd slot.

Bet this ones a head scratcher.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi triffic,
this is how i went about downloading;
1. I got the info from the head unit by inserting sd card
2. took out and inserted into computer
3.went to kenwood web site and then directed to www.kenwood.garmin.com
4.go to the updates and selected DNX525 unit
5.read the sd card info
6.device info found = DNX525
7.select YES this is my device and CONTINUE
8.screen then shows product updates available for the unit
9.clicked on map update pending -check your download history
10.this takes me to MY downloads on my logged in account
11.clicked on download button for the 2016 map
10.then indicates your download will begin shortly
11.box comes up with "do you want to run or save garmin express.exe

Then you download via this to the sd card
it indicates done you may now remove you sd card

the rest after that you know.

sorry for the long winded info provided, but hopefully it will give you a better insight

Thank you

·
Special Rapporteur
10,534 Posts
I would contact Kenwood and ask for their help. I did this when I needed to activate a traffic subscription on mine and they were very helpful (actually it was a Garmin employee that I spoke to, but the contact details came from Kenwood).

·
Special Rapporteur
10,534 Posts
It's three years ago - there is no chance I would remember. Just go onto their UK website and choose "Contact Us".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately the Kenwood website for these Kenwood dnx525 units don't give you a facility to give them a call. All communication via email, and I've done that been there. the reply even though i keep telling them i purchased from you online as a download is;
"You need to contact you local kenwood dealer"!!
VW commercial Cheltenham fitted the unit and they say go to Kenwood for help!
So you can see I'm looking at the easiest solution to the problem as i see it. The help of the great and good on here.
Cheers Though

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had the same problem and found the updates will not upload to the DNX525DAB you have to leave the SDCard in with the maps on and use it that way I have had two updates for the last two years hope this helps

regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi DavyT5.
Thanks for your message.
It seems strange to me that the previous model I had DNX521DAB enabled you to download on to its hard drive, albeit via the USB rear connection and this one doesn't..

POOR, POOR, POOR!
Hopefully we will find someone out there who knows how to.
Cheers

·
Special Rapporteur
10,534 Posts
I think on some models there is not enough internal memory to fit new maps (BTW, the DNX525 does not have a hard drive - it's all solid state memory now) while the original ones are in place.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I contacted Kenwood electronics not very helpful and Garmin they said contact Kenwood got into a loop so gave up left the SD card in with the Map updates on after paying £50 and did not see a lot of difference covers the whole of Europe not used it there this year yet

regards DavyT5 Nr Chester

·
Registered
82 Posts
I having the same problems updating from 2014 maps to 2017 done every the same and as to the kenwood/garmin instructions
put the sd card in says uploading maps with the white background for few secs thats it then disperses and it doesn't show in the my maps to select, am using a 16gb micro sd so plenty of space for them.

any ideas thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts