VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive bought a DVB tuner for my Kenwood DNX520VBT, and would really appreciate any help on the installation of it.
Of course, getting it professionally fitted is the easy answer, but haven't booked this in anywhere, and wanted to do it this weekend.

In particular, does anyone have experience on:
  1. Where to place the actual box? In the dash,or under one of the seats? (dimensions are 188x144x30mm W x D x H)
  2. Where to place the antennae? I've got 2 of the recommended amplified antennas which take the 5V required through the 75ohm Coax. A,B pillars? Roof lining? Vertically polarised? Front to rear,or left to right facing?(they are directional)
  3. How to remove the trim to get the stereo out, enough to plug in the connectors?
  4. If, theoretically, one wanted to have tv whilst the vehicle was in motion, would one take the handbrake switch wire from the stereo to earth (ground it), or would it be best to have a hidden switch on that wire, so you could enable/disable as/when required, if the theory included being pulled by an officer of the law?
  5. The installation instructions say mount the unit on an 'audio board':*What's one of these?
  6. Any suggestions on where to put the 'puck' type thing for the IR remote receiver?
  7. Does removing the Negative(-VE) from the vehicle battery mess about with ECU's/Alarms....? I don't have a leisure battery yet.

Thanks in advance-like I say, and help/tips/advice/criticism* most welcome

Matt

*well criticism might not be, if it's not constructive.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Done a few but just contract fit TBH
Expensive pieces of kit aren't they?
About £300 - 400 from memory
Some of the newer stuff OEM coming in have the Digital TV as standard

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Swiss, not cheap, but with antennas came in just under £300 from Amazon.
In answer to my own questions, for those interested.
1. Went for a loose fit under passenger seat. Wiring (power loom, and monitor lead), under the matting on passenger side, up to footwell. And then behind that large plastic 'thing' under the gearstick, into back of radio. Take the wire from the radio end to wherever you're installing-as that way you can stash some of the excess calling in the dash, or else it'll be all over the place under the seat. Theres a earth/ground plug under the seat which means you can attach to that real easy.
2.i've not gone firm on this, for now ive just maskered it to the sides of the van to ascertain signal strengths. Gone with near side rear, towards the top of the paneling, on the outside of it-polarised to the rear. Also the B pillar under the seatbelt mount by a few inches, next to drivers seat, polarised to the front. Will need to work out the trim removal for here if I go firm on this position. Didn't want to commit to antenna positions until I'd worked out optimum placement.
3. Worked this out, after seeing a recent post on here, and have some photos to upload, when I get time. No trim damage, so quite happy with that!
4. Didn't experiment with this, but can see it would cool, although the TV audio plays like the stereo when driving, so you can listen to freeview radio (radio 1x, absolute etc) whilst driving, or bbc1, bbc news, sky news whatever floats your boat! Gems TV!!!!
5. Mounting under the seat means its on matting, which must be a good vibration isolator. I expect that was the intention of this board thing?
6. Not decided on final position on this yet, bu found the receiver is very directional. If you don point he remote directly at it, it doesn't pick it up.
7. Removing the negative will cause loss of trip mileage, if you record that, and obviously any existing radio presets. Other than that, didn't appear to do it any harm.

In summary, although mines a partial fit at the moment:
Plus points
Awesome reception when you have freeview coverage.
Loads of channels
Radio stations
Fairly resilient to driving and holding reception-drops signal in the troughs of South Devon, but even the house has terrible reception there.
Adds a new use to the van, in that I sat having lunch by a river watching the tv today. If I'm stuck in snow/traffic, then I can enjoy the queue now, without stress.

Negative Points
Not nice cutting vehicle wiring, if you're not used to it. There's only 2 wires to attach really (yellow, and red), and a ground. Used scotch blocks to cut into existing ISO wires, but the block diagrams didn't match up with the radio installation PDF I had.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The OEM Kenwoods get Digital TV as a small unit in the main unit
None of the messing around sorting this out
So much easier in factory

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yeah Swiss, not cheap, but with antennas came in just under £300 from Amazon.
In answer to my own questions, for those interested.
1. Went for a loose fit under passenger seat. Wiring (power loom, and monitor lead), under the matting on passenger side, up to footwell. And then behind that large plastic 'thing' under the gearstick, into back of radio. Take the wire from the radio end to wherever you're installing-as that way you can stash some of the excess calling in the dash, or else it'll be all over the place under the seat. Theres a earth/ground plug under the seat which means you can attach to that real easy.
2.i've not gone firm on this, for now ive just maskered it to the sides of the van to ascertain signal strengths. Gone with near side rear, towards the top of the paneling, on the outside of it-polarised to the rear. Also the B pillar under the seatbelt mount by a few inches, next to drivers seat, polarised to the front. Will need to work out the trim removal for here if I go firm on this position. Didn't want to commit to antenna positions until I'd worked out optimum placement.
3. Worked this out, after seeing a recent post on here, and have some photos to upload, when I get time. No trim damage, so quite happy with that!
4. Didn't experiment with this, but can see it would cool, although the TV audio plays like the stereo when driving, so you can listen to freeview radio (radio 1x, absolute etc) whilst driving, or bbc1, bbc news, sky news whatever floats your boat! Gems TV!!!!
5. Mounting under the seat means its on matting, which must be a good vibration isolator. I expect that was the intention of this board thing?
6. Not decided on final position on this yet, bu found the receiver is very directional. If you don point he remote directly at it, it doesn't pick it up.
7. Removing the negative will cause loss of trip mileage, if you record that, and obviously any existing radio presets. Other than that, didn't appear to do it any harm.

In summary, although mines a partial fit at the moment:
Plus points
Awesome reception when you have freeview coverage.
Loads of channels
Radio stations
Fairly resilient to driving and holding reception-drops signal in the troughs of South Devon, but even the house has terrible reception there.
Adds a new use to the van, in that I sat having lunch by a river watching the tv today. If I'm stuck in snow/traffic, then I can enjoy the queue now, without stress.

Negative Points
Not nice cutting vehicle wiring, if you're not used to it. There's only 2 wires to attach really (yellow, and red), and a ground. Used scotch blocks to cut into existing ISO wires, but the block diagrams didn't match up with the radio installation PDF I had.
Sounds good. Is all working fine now? Considering one too, did you go with the aerial in the rear of the van in the end ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The antennas are still loose laid in the back of the van-both about 1ft from the rear tailgate, near the top of the vertical panel, vertically polarised. I haven't tried horizontal polarisation.

I initially tried one on the nearside in the location mentioned above, and another on the drivers b-pillar-ensuring masking tape didn't touch the elements.

The reception was not brilliant whilst moving, so I relocated the b-pillar element to opposite the other one (so both near the tailgate), and now on motorways etc you can hold a signal, enabling listening to digital radio (no tv image at the moment).

When I finally ply-line my van, I'll probably mount them behind the ply, in the locations they are now. As ill be putting dynamat in, and that being silver foil backed, it'll probably worsen the reception.

When I use the tv, I generally have to retune it if I'm in a new location-but once done it's a great reception. Is very handy in motorway queues, when everyone else is getting hacked off.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The antennas are still loose laid in the back of the van-both about 1ft from the rear tailgate, near the top of the vertical panel, vertically polarised. I haven't tried horizontal polarisation.

I initially tried one on the nearside in the location mentioned above, and another on the drivers b-pillar-ensuring masking tape didn't touch the elements.

The reception was not brilliant whilst moving, so I relocated the b-pillar element to opposite the other one (so both near the tailgate), and now on motorways etc you can hold a signal, enabling listening to digital radio (no tv image at the moment).

When I finally ply-line my van, I'll probably mount them behind the ply, in the locations they are now. As ill be putting dynamat in, and that being silver foil backed, it'll probably worsen the reception.

When I use the tv, I generally have to retune it if I'm in a new location-but once done it's a great reception. Is very handy in motorway queues, when everyone else is getting hacked off.

Hope this helps a bit.
Yes it does bud. Did you go for the antenna that is bundled with the tuner on amazon for about £290 ish?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, got the bundled deal off amazon. I also totally agree with the review someone put on there too (crumple), about the branding.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yup, got the bundled deal off amazon. I also totally agree with the review someone put on there too (crumple), about the branding.
Not seen it yet. What is he saying?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote from Amazon.
4.0 out of 5 stars good antenna but not Kenwood branded ???, 3 Aug 2011
ByCRUMPLE (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kenwood CAW-ANT410 DVB-T Active Antenna (Electronics)
Ok this is a little odd to say the least . I bought 1 set of these from amazon and when they arrived they were not in a Kenwood box (plain white box) and the manual in the box was for a company called "FUNKE" . Not Kenwood at all . I telephoned Amazon as I assumed they had sent out the incorrect antenna , after all if you order Kenwood , that's what you expect to receive . As usual , the customer service was superb and after a long Q&A session as to why they wernt what I had ordered and how this could have happened , I sent them back and they promptly sent me another set . Guess what ? Yup you got it , they were Funke again . I knoe nothing about this so I trotted down to my local car audio shop and asked to see a set of Kenwood CAW-ANT410 DVB-T Active Antenna . Out came a plain white box with Funke antenna inside ? Very confusing , anyway I decided to give in on this one and fitted them . They are active so require a power supply from your dvb-t unit but work very well and i am very pleased with them so Funke it is . Very good antenna but I guess Kenwood changed their name by deed poll on this one !!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Sorry don't understand the question

The one on my blog is a genuine ken wood with a genuine ken wood tuner fitted also like the one in this thread

We started selling OEM ken wood which had built in DVT at the factory but couldn't get the damn things to work

Its a small unit the DVT tuner and it would be nice if this was a factory option on the ken wood also

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought you were selling the HU with a built in DVB-T. If thats the case, then it's obviously a step forward, but I couldn't find details anywhere of such a unit. Interesting to hear you had them, but failed to get them working. Thought they would carry some other unit model number?
There is alot to these units though-lots to learn

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I had unit made as a trial with view to importing in bulk
Unit had software problems that we couldn't fix

1 - 14 of 14 Posts