VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's Kermit my 02 lwb 102! Bought in Dec 2011 with 128k the plan is to acheive something that i can work out of every day, and throw all my tools out of and live in for festivals and the weeks & weekends away. Ive already started planning our roadtrip round the highlands for later this year so its full steam ahead!! Here he is the day after collection

been a plumbers van previously tho the racking will come in handy for now until it has to make room for a window!!
could not put up with the horrific sounds coming from the cardboard cones aka speakers for a minute longer so i threw these in that i picked up for £12.50 from halfrauds!!!

the grilles do re-fit. not quite philharmonic but a good improvement along with the sony cd player from my old van. gear lever extension & shortshift mod made the world of difference but took a bit of getting used to! obligatory jaegermeister flowers on the mirror T: gets me some very funny looks at the builders merchants!

did the egr clean & blank as for the sake of £3 i thought it was a bit of a no brainer. not noticed any difference but i feel better after seeing how much sh*t there was gunking it up!! headlight loom has been uprated with nightbreaker bulbs from xtreme van (incredible srevice) & made a hell of an improvement, had a similar loom on my mk2 golf but this one with the bulbs is miles better! had some reverse sensors in the cupboard to whizzed them in. figured why not!! got myself a roll of limo black tinting film to keep unwanted eyes out when parked up at jobs. £6 & took an hour. not a bubble to be seen! good job if i may say so myself!! also did away with the scabby rear badges to clean things up a bit.

thats not a scratch (though there are plenty!) its the garage striplight.

wound the front down a tad today to compensate for weight of tools etc. looks more raked than it is because of the slope

went mad with the silicone spray ( 1/2 price back 2 black ;))

Thats it up to now! Future plans are wheels (in the pipeline c/o colese (obviously ;))) coilovers so i can keep it sensible for work & wind down for shows etc. Probably vmaxx with the adjustable dampers. swap that cattle grid of a roofrack for something a bit prettier! Insulate & carpet rear, side windows, de-cat, vr6 splitter as i wont be able to go too low with the wheels planned so im gonna give one a go & see how it looks. captains chairs or swively saabs and an ingenious removable bed that i have yet to design!!! Loads more but ive had enough! Phew! A:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
fixed the sliding door central locking switch over the weekend

received my forum sticker too so ill be figuring where to stick it!! T:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T: yes mate it is!! there and 'on the rocks' bar are the only none chav infested places ive found in the town centre.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so ive had a couple of rolls of flashband waiting to go in for a few weeks now & today i thought id get stuck in. removed the ply boxing in from around the wheel arches, had to bar the ply floor up as the previous idiot had screwed it straight through the van floor & of course none of the screws were for coming out without a fight. anyway, lots of swearing, splinters and grazed knuckles later revealed this.....:eek:

looked like something pulled from the titanic!!

ridiculous! so an hour of scrubbing with a TOOTHBRUSH :bhd and hoovering later things were looking a bit less sahara-ish.

will hgave to do for now as it got dark! also had to remove the rack to get the ply lining off the bulkhead which is being removed anyway. planning to cut windows in at somepoint so re-fitted the rack towards the rear.

the flashbanding will have to wait until another day!!! hopefully not to long though because the roadnoise without the ply and boxing in around the arches is horrendous!!
ending on a more exciting point, my wheels (courtesy of colesy of course) should arrive on tuesday!! A::db .....

oooooooh YEAH! :ILU:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wheels arrived today! gave them a trial fit but wont be leaving them on because 1; the tyres are too wide for the front and not load rated, 2; you can see my rusty brakes :eek: 3; the centre caps need the little round steel spring to hold them firmly in place. and obviously they need refurbing. gonna get the lips re-polished and the centres painted but not sure what colour. thinking cream or grey/silver. NOT black that has been done to death imo, for a reason admittedly but ive never seen these wheels before so id rather get an individual colour! swapping tyres for some slightly taller & narrower ones. currently on 235/45/17 swapping for either 225/55 or 215/55.

hello officer :*

needs to go doooown

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wire brushed the loose rust off and painted the areas with zinc primer. sealed screw holes with sikaflex. got the floor insulated a few days ago and covered the wheel arches with flashing tape. 25mm kingspan.

painted the floor just inside the rear doors with black satin hammerite & came up miles better than id expected!

clear front indicators have made a huuuge improvement to the front end!!

nametag ;)

captains chairs are the best addition so far! SO comfy on long journeys!! not on swivels yet though.

tinted the orange part of the clusters red but im not that convinced. flashes a bit too red too.

got my wheels back from being shotblasted today! looking goood!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
T:started polishing the outer rims of the wheels on sunday, i have a feeling it may take me some time!!!

and got me a bra from cmc to cover up all the stone chips and scratches on the bonnet T:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
changed back discs and pads a few weeks ago, one of the pads was triangular & down to the metal!! replaced both handbrake cables last weekend after one of them snapped!! handbrake light switch now works and the gearstick gaiter is fixed to the floor like it should be!! all parts have been ordered for the wheels polishing jig! think the next in the list will have to the shock absorbers, teeth are getting rattled out & they looked like something from the titanic when i had the wheel off to do the brakes!!! bilstein b4's i think. fit & forget. T: insulated all down the nearside and the back doors. made a massive improvement, roof still noisy though due to rack. boxing wheel arches in soon, should help once stuffed with insulation!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
a few pics of the insulation process. usual script, flash band on thin outer panels, foil bubble wrap, kingspan, and recycled bottle wool in the hard to reach places. Just stuck a few offcuts of the foil stuff to the upper door panels to keep noise down for now as theyre getting cut out soon.

new ply on rear doors

also got hold of a rear hub from a passat b5 to make my wheel polishing jig A:

designing a removable kitchen pod as we speak.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
some progress on the wheel jig...

these arrived today...

the stove im gonna be using...

and a rough idea of the removable pod ill be making...

A:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
hi kermit

just a note you may be interested in, ive just built a kitchen pod in my lwb and it took me a while but i came to the conclusion that taps and waste water containers took up space better used for other stuff

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
loving that mate! some ingenious touches there! the 'tin rack' is inspired LOL:!!! you just pop your sink out and pour the waste away then?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
yep, seems obvious, but it took me about a week to work it out, taps are for "motorcaravan" owners and generally your in a field so a bit of dirty water on the ground isnt going to accelerate global warming:D

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got the bulkhead out today, what a ballache!!!

insulated the roof with flashband and a double layer of bubble wrap but have run out!! went for a quick spin before & its the biggest reduction in wind noise so far.

just the osr quarter to do now and im all insulated!! T:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts