VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. been thinking of getting a awning have decided to go for a khyam Driveaway Compact 300 Awning so was wondering if enyone has got one to have a few reports on it, thanksT:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a Motordome, not the same model I know, but as a general comment I would give the Kyham a big thumbs up. They are quick and simple to errect and fold away into a small bag. The quality is good, well thought out, but need to be handled with some care. As the structure need to be light, easy to errect/store, it can be damaged if handled badly (same with all awnings/tents). Like a tent, the main errection is quick, but it does take time to make it more "storm proof", putting all the pegs and guy ropes in. Also bear in mind that because this is an awning, not a tent, it does not have an "inner" second skin. This means that condensation can form on the inside surfaces and then drip onto the contents (weather/temperature dependant). If you intend to use the awning for sleeping, you really need to use the "inner" tents which are available to purchase as an extra. When we use our Motordome it is mainly as an extention to the van. We store our bikes, errect a table and generally empty all the stuff that is in the way inside the van, sort of a "utility room". Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's mine in France

Is a good size, and fairly easy to put up, especially the 2nd timeI: also has a zip in tent type thingy you can sleep in.
Have used it a fair number of times, and been mostly good. It's the only awning have ever used, so can't really compare, but is quite high sided and no sewn in groundsheet, so when it got windy, it moved a hell of a lot. It did collapse, but in all fairness the ground was soaked, and the pegs just came straight out the ground
Also I don't think I could put it up on my own, and me and the misses have argued every time we have set it up, but that says more about us than the awning!
For the price can't be bad....., there was a discount kicking around on here a while back for kyham I think, and just kampers seem to do one that looks exactly the same.
Hth
Ade

1 - 3 of 3 Posts