VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I know now what a kippered Gates Coupling is, and what it does, and what it should not sound like Rasp:

Following a great 2 weeks touring round Cornwall my T5 decided to start making a slight rattling sound, initially like a loose exhaust bracket or tappet (if you remember that far back), anyway i decided to 'monitor' the sound, in a very short period of time the sound increased to a 'bag of bolts in a tin' rapidly growing to a hydraulic hammer!

The noise at idle was shocking, i got plenty of looks at the filling station and at traffic lights, generally looks of that sounds expensive...........so after no luck with 2 independent garages who avoided me like the plague! it was off to the main dealers fearing a costly but friendly introduction to a new DMF.

For those like me who did not know, the T5 has a coupling linking the alternator, air con and i believe somehow the water pump, this coupling allows freewheeling of these items when not required thus saving fuel and money (which i now know must be saved up to pay for a new one every 90K).

Anyway enough rambling on, i shall be £500 worse off tomorrow but we will have our beloved van back minus the machine gun.......

I prefer to support small local garages when both our VW's need attention, i know the main dealers charge but at least they would fix it, not only that but the service guy was great, very knowledgeable and even offered me tea, sympathy and a loan car for the night!

These are a service item which VW change every 90K, so look out when buying a higher mileage T5, the vans now done 183K (2005 Caravelle) so i suppose we got 3K extra out of itI:

p.s apologies for technical descriptions/probable inaccuracies , but i'm better with buildings.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Mine is off to be replaced next week with Dazboi01 along with its fourth long life service. No noise or anything to be concerned about but much better to change it and be safe rather than sorry.

I used to own Alfa Romeos and endlessly worried about the multiple £100s I would spend at each service. I'd soon forget about the expense when I polished them up and enjoyed a good drive. Numerous other cars (particularly of French origin) didn't make me feel that way and the expense was a pain. However, my T5 is an absolute joy to own and I feel the same way about it as I did the Alfas.

It is always a good feeling to know you have another 80k miles of adventure before the next one too!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello all,

I know now what a kippered Gates Coupling is, and what it does, and what it should not sound like Rasp:

Following a great 2 weeks touring round Cornwall my T5 decided to start making a slight rattling sound, initially like a loose exhaust bracket or tappet (if you remember that far back), anyway i decided to 'monitor' the sound, in a very short period of time the sound increased to a 'bag of bolts in a tin' rapidly growing to a hydraulic hammer!

The noise at idle was shocking, i got plenty of looks at the filling station and at traffic lights, generally looks of that sounds expensive...........so after no luck with 2 independent garages who avoided me like the plague! it was off to the main dealers fearing a costly but friendly introduction to a new DMF.

For those like me who did not know, the T5 has a coupling linking the alternator, air con and i believe somehow the water pump, this coupling allows freewheeling of these items when not required thus saving fuel and money (which i now know must be saved up to pay for a new one every 90K).

Anyway enough rambling on, i shall be £500 worse off tomorrow but we will have our beloved van back minus the machine gun.......

I prefer to support small local garages when both our VW's need attention, i know the main dealers charge but at least they would fix it, not only that but the service guy was great, very knowledgeable and even offered me tea, sympathy and a loan car for the night!

These are a service item which VW change every 90K, so look out when buying a higher mileage T5, the vans now done 183K (2005 Caravelle) so i suppose we got 3K extra out of itI:

p.s apologies for technical descriptions/probable inaccuracies , but i'm better with buildings.
What was the end result, other than the cost??:confused:
what had caused the coupling to go??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No reason for coupling to fail really i suppose other than it had been in service for 90K miles, as the dealer said it is a service item (albeit an expensive one!) that should of been changed at its last service, as i understand it if the coupling fails completely you loose the alternator, power steering and air con and if i've got it right the water pump as well!, apparently it wont damage these items but stops you from driving the vehicle and i guess if this happens at speed its no joke!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ian156,

Good move really, i should have had mine replaced at last service but given the current state of things in the building industry and the costs involved i decided to let it run longer, should of known really with my track record with things on wheels..........

And you are also right about the vans, there's a big T5 sized hole on the drive at the moment.........it's amazing how you get attached to [email protected]@dy things....

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hopefully things will pick up soon. Always better for your health to live with hope and optimism. Unless it all goes Mad Max, then we're all stuffed LOL:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello,

To correct some details, assuming your T5 is the 128Kw (174 Bhp) 5 cylinder PD or lower Kw 5 cylinder version, there is a Gates Coupling for the A/C and a seperate Gates coupling for the alternator. The P/S is direct drive to the engine as is the water pump and camshaft gear.

My 2008 128Kw Multivan (with DPF) indicates that Gates Coupling is checked at about 170,000Km but mentions nothing about replacing them.

Your situation would suggest differently.

Regards,

Scott

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
i think alot of dealers interpit the elastic drive couplings or gates differently, to be honest in the result of a failure you would still be able to drive the vehicle in any case, albeit with the loss of air con (if youve got it) or a new battery and alternator, the instructions as i see it are 100k miles or four years whichever comes first, now that is the manufacturers recommendation, this does not mean they will last for this period of time, in the failures i have seen the worse resulted in a damaged air con compressor which is in the region of 800-900 quid, i cant remember exactly, but the customer drove the vehicle in with a bad "noise"

to replace both gates couplings and freewheels (we always do this) retail is £439.90+vat, less if you dont have air con or your vehicle is over 3 years old, the most important thing i believe is to know your vehicle and say to yourself, its not a cambelt but it needs to be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts