VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kiravans are currently discounting £100 off their 120w semi flexible panel bringing it down to £190ish. Controller cost is on top.

I’ve been mulling over the idea of going solar and I wondered whether this is good value for a panel? Certainly cheaper than photonic but not sure whether better value exists elsewhere?

Ideally looking to mate to a Victron smart controller.

Any other suggestions out there?

A friend has just picked up a folding panel which comes with a PWM controller for a touch over £200 but I don’t want to have to carry another bulky item in the van since I’ve got to take all the gear for the little one at the moment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have 2 of Bimble Solars 150W panels; ETFE surface and TPT backsheet.
Fixed on roof with strips of 3M RP45 tape.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to hear that there is an alternative to sika.

Does your roof have raised ridges? How did you deal with those?

·
Registered
187 Posts
..regular T5.1 roof; tape is on the ridges. Panel droops slightly into the valleys but does not affect performance.
The valleys provide cooling underneath the panel.
Done approx 3k miles and been down to Spain and also UK, so experienced the extremes of weather :)

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
I have a bimble 150w great construction, one of the best. Mine is fitted on a corrolex sheet, an old for sale board. Panels can be affected by heat, the corrolex and air gap under the panel hopefully will help. No noise at all.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Spen1804, mine are open at the front; fixed with 5 lengths of 3M RP45 down the length of each panel (3 would probably suffice).
No noise and no loosening of the tape.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have mine fitted on industrial strength Velcro with a run of sika along the front.
a little worried doing 70 mph on motorway first time.
just over 1000 miles later all ok

·
Registered
447 Posts
Spen1804, mine are open at the front; fixed with 5 lengths of 3M RP45 down the length of each panel (3 would probably suffice).
No noise and no loosening of the tape.

Same as mine 5 strips of VHB tape along the length, plus a few extra short strips at the front to give extra hold. I wanted plenty of gaps to let air circulate. No sign of it lifting on the motorway so far. It's all very well stuck down. 150w flexible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts