VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Kiravans swivel

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Alexic 
#1 ·
Looking for advice.
I recently installed the kiravans' swivel base for both driver and passengers' double seater in my T5.1 Caravelle.
With all nuts and bolts >>tight<<, the drivers' seat became REALLY wobbly and squeaky in under 500km.

Is this a normal behavior? Did I get a "lemon"? Have you done something to "fix" this other than removing the swivel base?!?

(I am also not happy with the height of the seat now, I almost hit my head on the roof, but that's another topic for another discussion)

#3 ·
We've got Rib swivels on both single front seats, I think that's all Kiravans sell for single seats, they're solid as a rock & don't squeak either. If you want the drivers seat lower ditch the spacers that came with that swivel & move the handbrake bracket lower down.

#4 ·
Thanks jc1 - I will undo the whole thing and check the nuts and bolts once again when the weather is warmer, before giving them a call

Roger - I agree with you on the "solid as a rock" for the front double seater. But the driver seat-different story.
I reviewed their video, and I see at 8:21, as he pulls the seat to the front, the end of the sliding rail lifts up a bit. Since it is tight with the swivel base, it means the whole plate lifts up:
About lowering it - what spacer are you talking about? Is it something included in the kit (which I probably missed or didn't receive?) or the bolts on the floor which have this 1cm dough that acts as a nut and spacer?

#5 ·
Is that your picture on the left? The spacer is already bolted to the bottom of the swivel there, and it says on their website it comes in the kit, you can ditch that but you'll need to drop the handbrake as well. I couldn't see what you were meaning at 8:21 on the video? It relies on the nylon bobbins to stop it rocking, make sure they're all OK, they only engage when the seat is locked in the driving position though, so expect a small bit of movement when it's swivelled round. I've never had any squeaks but I did grease the centre swivel point & the nylon bobbins when fitted.

#6 · (Edited)
Oh, I understand now... the spacer thing. Well, even with the spacer on I had to trim the seat's plastics around about 1cm.
You were right about another thing too: those bobbins were botched (a pair of them). I was happy that was all, but only for a moment. After turning them around - on a side that's straight, I can still see they don't line up when latched. My bet is they'll end up botched on this side too. Only one pair lines up with one another. The other three are off by 1-4mm (I can barely see myself, way harder to film it)

Here's what I saw today:
-- wobbly in my hand, not as obvious as when mounted (I'm not that strong)
-- wobbly even after reinstall

So I guess I have two options:
  • find a 14mm wedge full length for both front and back side to knock it in
  • drill a couple of holes in both sheets and use some bolts to fasten them (like the ones the double swivel uses). And unscrew them before turning the seat around
And honestly, if it wasn't for the cost of international shipping, I wouldn't mind sending this back for a replacement

#9 ·
I had the same issue with a slight flex and wobble after a short amount of use. To combat this I took the swivel seat back off and copper greased everything then I drilled and fitted a nut and bolt just in from each corner and set them to just touch the bottom plate. This for me solved the problem so no more squeaking and wobble.

#12 ·
I stopped by the hardware store today and bought 4 wooden wedges that I would like to try first. I feel this is the least durable option, but it pains me to take down the whole thing again. Obviously I won't be hammering them in (d'oh!) but cut them each at its own size: one needs 12mm,2x 13mm, 1x 14mm.

will post pictures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.