VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend is giving me a Borg Warner KKK24 turbo of his 94 Audi S2. As my next step is the PP2 Performance jets and intercooler and remap i thought i might be able to put the turbo on my T4 too (Y reg 2.5 tdi 88bhp). Can anyone see an issue with this? Cant see why a petrol engined turbo wouldnt go on as basically its just a compressor...plus theyre both 5 cylinder engines.
Im not a mechanic so i may have got it all wrong,,,therefore if anyone is in the know please enlighten me. Thanks in advance...
Dan.

·
Registered
823 Posts
You'd want to make sure the wastegate will open at the correct pressure and that the turbine can take the diesel exhaust gas temps. I'm no expert however.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can wastegate pressure be adjusted manually? Again no expert by far but i think its just a case of winding the nut back and forth on the actuator rod...
So, is there a difference then in diesel/petrol turbo's temperature wise??

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
The K24 from the AUDI is a 4 bolt flange on it so won't fit the ACV Manifold I:

it will fit the 4 bolt Volvo V70 or Audi AEL Manifold T:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the advice people! With it not fitting the manifold i might give it a miss...ah well. While were on the subject though, what is the commonly used turbo for an upgrade on T4's? As in one that just bolts straight on with no complications but with significant power gains?

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Cheers for the advice people! With it not fitting the manifold i might give it a miss...ah well. While were on the subject though, what is the commonly used turbo for an upgrade on T4's? As in one that just bolts straight on with no complications but with significant power gains?
Hybrid K14 is a common one T:

Your limited with the 3 bolt manifold inless you make a 4 bolt adaptor

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard of getting the k14 hybridised? before...can anyone point me in the right direction for companies? Price range etc?

·
6,679 Posts
Also the 88 gearbox is not made for high bhp.
It will cause the clutch to go first mind you butbifvyou update the clutch the box becomes at risk.

Stick to pp1 with the 88 and run no more than 155 bhp unless you have deep pockets and a habit of getting dirty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also the 88 gearbox is not made for high bhp.
It will cause the clutch to go first mind you butbifvyou update the clutch the box becomes at risk.

Stick to pp1 with the 88 and run no more than 155 bhp unless you have deep pockets and a habit of getting dirty.
Rake, been reading your PP threads with interest. Thought the PP2 was better suited to 88bhp models or have i got it wrong??
Think i might go for the PP2 injectors and a re-map (shogun intercooler sat here waiting fitment). If i still feel the need for more i'll look at uprating the turbo but if the clutch and gearbox need uprating too.....my pockets aint that deep!!!:eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I know this is an old thread but whats the cost of hybridising the K14 turbo?

Currently at 155bhp on an 88bhp with pp1 injectors n 4 paddle clutch all ok so far :D

Just after a little more grunt ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts

Currently at 155bhp on an 88bhp with pp1 injectors n 4 paddle clutch all ok so far :D

You will need a larger turbine to improve the flow not just a larger compressor. Basically, you're limited on the hotside by the wastegate penny flap, there's not that much meat left to machine a larger turbine, however, you can use a vw LT turbo (also branded as a k14) which has a bigger turbine. Then you get a good machine shop to enlarge the compressor housing to take a 1.8T compressor wheel but i would keep the trim as close to the existing wheel in order to keep the lag low. If you're interested, drop me a pm, i could get you a turbo built to your spec with a balance sheet but don't expect it to be cheap- most of the costs go towards machining/balancing and sourcing the parts...

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts

fit a Volvo V70 K14 Turbo & manifold they are larger 2260 good for upto 200bhp

fitted here on my AJA Engine

standard K14 is 2050 T:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Very nice dude :) how much clearance do you get for around bulk head etc?... will look into it looks a tidy installation

·
Registered
865 Posts
fit a Volvo V70 K14 Turbo & manifold they are larger 2260 good for upto 200bhp

fitted here on my AJA Engine

standard K14 is 2050 T:
Brookster, how do you measure the turbo ? Do you have a dyno printout with any volvo that ran 200 Bhp on that turbo ? as with everything in life, size is not everything ! A ko3/ko3s compressor wheel will struggle to push more air with a small hotside- that's where the limitations lie...With the volvo turbo, getting the wastegate to bypass exhaust flow when you're pushing more air is the biggest issue, the LT hotside has a better solution- larger penny valve and it's plug and play on the AJT/ACV manifold... With a much more modern wheel with low trim/extended tip technology- you can have more flow, more PR and less EGT compared with the volvo turbo. In every build i do i tend to use a turbo that's no more than 10 years old, the k14 is a dinosaur compared with a gtb1749vc or a gtc1446vkz, smaller, lightning fast spool and enough flow for true 200 Bhp...trouble is they are all VNT turbos !

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hi dude

Trying to message you but your inbox is full :(
Sorry fella, 10 message limit is a joke on this forum ! Apparently you need to pay to advertise or have no restrictions on this forum, the way i see it I should be paid for the knowledge i have and give for free not the other way round !
Try now, just cleared some junk admins left in my inbox a few months ago...apparently i was advertising ! If you want to chat or else google my nick name- there should be thousands of posts and contact numbers on the web...only reason i still freqvent this forum is that i own a t4 tdi...

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
Brookster, how do you measure the turbo ? Do you have a dyno printout with any volvo that ran 200 Bhp on that turbo ? as with everything in life, size is not everything ! A ko3/ko3s compressor wheel will struggle to push more air with a small hotside- that's where the limitations lie...With the volvo turbo, getting the wastegate to bypass exhaust flow when you're pushing more air is the biggest issue, the LT hotside has a better solution- larger penny valve and it's plug and play on the AJT/ACV manifold... With a much more modern wheel with low trim/extended tip technology- you can have more flow, more PR and less EGT compared with the volvo turbo. In every build i do i tend to use a turbo that's no more than 10 years old, the k14 is a dinosaur compared with a gtb1749vc or a gtc1446vkz, smaller, lightning fast spool and enough flow for true 200 Bhp...trouble is they are all VNT turbos !
i agree with you , i'm only running 165bhp and that's enough considering the V70 K14 only cost me £80 T:

The printouts for the V70 K14 are all on the Volvo forum i used to use for info , my friend who is a Turbo builder (AET Turbos) has been looking at new Billet Turbines for the Turbo to improve flow and reduce lag.

i'm happy with how mine is running at the moment and i have a spare on the shelf when this one runs out of puff ;)

These are some old print outs before i increase the boost and change the boost pin
Results with PP3

Standard Injectors

I've seen a Nice GT2056V Turbo for sale and it got me looking at VNT Installs again

Some Interesting VNT Turbo conversion information and installs here - all mechanical control though with my engine being a IDI and mechanical injection

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj492/Rock3tman/?action=view&current=MVI_7211.mp4

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/VNT-wastegate-adjust.htm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts