VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my alloys yesterday from 16" to 18" rs4's, everything seemed fine on a couple of short trips yesterday, but after driving 10 miles or so today a fairly loud knocking noise has developed that speeds/slows as the van does. It seems to be coming from the front end somewhere, can anyone think what it might be? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
539 Posts
Have you got the correct wheel bolts fitted mate? I had this on mine, the bolts where slightly to long, they felt like they where tight because they had bottomed out in the wheel hub leaving the wheel slightly loose. Made a terrible racket/ banging noise from the front end

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think to check the length, but what you're saying would make sense, I've had a wheel fall off whilst test driving a t4 a few months back, and that was due to loose bolts, and the noise is similar to what I'm getting now. Do you know how I would get the correct length for my wheels?

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
I didn't think to check the length, but what you're saying would make sense, I've had a wheel fall off whilst test driving a t4 a few months back, and that was due to loose bolts, and the noise is similar to what I'm getting now. Do you know how I would get the correct length for my wheels?
about 30mm left of thread once through wheel will be fine...

what bolts you using?..standard?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
2x4 or 4x4?
Halfshafts are OK?
Wheelbearings OK?
Nothing in the undercarridge that might have come loose?
Nothing touching the rim?
Try & swap back toe rims just for the sake of testing;)
The Bolt issue seems to be duly coveres:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
so have you even thought about going out to your van and checking if your wheel bolts are still torqued up??????????

or did you just think i will ask the forum cause it means i wont get cold

·
Registered
647 Posts
i would say bolts pal, iv just bought a set of audi a5 alloys and just used standard bolts ,run them for a couple of days then checked tightness of bolts 1 seemed to have worked loose so took them out and the seat of the bolt is not same as the alloy check them out ,there different types pal
T:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so have you even thought about going out to your van and checking if your wheel bolts are still torqued up??????????

was out in the van when the noise started about 10 miles from home with no tools/wheel brace or anything to check the tightness of the bolts...if I could've checked I would.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Nice response :(:(

Clearly someone who doesn't understand the term "help" - don't judge others by your own behaviours I:

aaronlapthorne - as others have said, there are two types of bolts. Radius for factory VW, Audi etc. Tapered for aftermarket alloys. if you use the wrong ones they won't stay put, even if they are torqued up correctly.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've got about 16 of those spare if you want 'em. postage only

·
Registered
291 Posts
was out in the van when the noise started about 10 miles from home with no tools/wheel brace or anything to check the tightness of the bolts...if I could've checked I would.
then i would have stopped and found a way of checking them before the wheels fell off and killed somebodys children,

sorry to be harsh but people were having a go on another thread about how dangerous it would be driving a van on a wheel thats been cracked and repaired and you drive home with a knocking noise

then you get people still driving there van with a problem like this http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154926

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Massive thanks to Dice_Magic who has sent me the bolts free of charge - really appreciate that mate. Its a shame not everybody on this forum is as helpful (mucky)...let's hope they never need any help with anything!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts