VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need some advice on the front suspension of my 2,5 T4 from 1996.
There is a noticable knocking sound when I go over bumps. It's only from the right hand side it seems.

I changed both upper ball joints yesterday, along with the anti-rollbar coupling. The lower ball joints are brand new as well and have no play in them. The U-joints are new as well, as are the shocks.

I have changed everything I can think of that could make that noise.

However, the ride is also very harsh, it feels like the entire car drops it's full weight into every bump, even though the car isn't lowered or anything. Could it be cheap shocks that could be making the sound? :* Or could it be something else?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, I've got them same problem on the n/s of my van, really have to dodge them potholes. I'm getting the driveshafts changed and the garage said they'd check the rubbers on the shocks to see if theres any wear there?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
seems quite common this knocking!
ours is like a hollow sound over any small bumps, like something very loose.
garage can't find anything, jammed foam behind gear linkages, pipes, cables & anything that could rattle, & secured heat shields etc
but no effect

·
Registered
147 Posts
It happens on mine too, if you look in the suspension posts on here
Someone had it and it ended up being the track rod ends..
I'm looking at mine the weekend to check it all

·
Registered
765 Posts
Same here!
Have done ALL ball joints, drop link, anti roll bushes, track rod ends & inner track rods...oh & I have wheel bearings & wishbone bushes at home but think they r ok!
Have had 2 garages look & they cant see anything.
Plan29 let us know how u get on cos I am thinking drive shafts or cv's, but cant even feel any significant play in them from underneath!... its driving me nuts :blg

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had a knock and a rattle and it turned out to be the undertray. The two small bolts with the rubbers where it hooks on at the back
didn't have any nuts on! Just a thought!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello all,

There is a noticable knocking sound when I go over bumps. It's only from the right hand side it seems.

I changed both upper ball joints yesterday, along with the anti-rollbar coupling. The lower ball joints are brand new as well and have no play in them. The U-joints are new as well, as are the shocks.

However, the ride is also very harsh, it feels like the entire car drops it's full weight into every bump, even though the car isn't lowered or anything. Could it be cheap shocks that could be making the sound? :* Or could it be something else?
Did you fully extend and close ( pump) the shockabsorbers a series of times before fitting. I used to work at a car parts dept and we used to get complaints from people who had fitted new units and mentioned the knocking or the shock absorbers not functioning correctly. When they are new on the shelves they are laid on their side and the oil gathers. Pumping them primes them. You can usually feel them stiffening as you do it. Just a thought Hope it helps

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just thought have you checked the torsion bar? I did sort out one knocking sound that had a very loose feel to it and it turned out to be one of the bolts on the torsion bar had worked loose! Just an idea that cost nothing? Good luck with it :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just thought have you checked the torsion bar? I did sort out one knocking sound that had a very loose feel to it and it turned out to be one of the bolts on the torsion bar had worked loose! Just an idea that cost nothing? Good luck with it :)
Which bolts? the main ones u lower with? mine r deff tight there but did think could it be a weak torsion bar?
I am about 60mm lowered so could this b loose!

·
Registered
717 Posts
sounds like a failed shock perhaps

Hello all,

·
Registered
187 Posts
Had the same problem on mine. Turned out to be spring clips on the brake calipers. Couldn't believe the noise it made swore it was suspension.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Which bolts? the main ones u lower with? mine r deff tight there but did think could it be a weak torsion bar?
I am about 60mm lowered so could this b loose!
When I got my van it had been lowered on the front really badly - one side was lower than the other and made the van tilt! I wanted the classic look so released the main bolts to level off the van, but must have slackened them off too much coz the front got reall y loose feeling, tightened them up abit and all seems better. Gota a feeling all the other knocks are coming from the shock rubbers, sounds and feels like it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just managed to sort my annoying knocking it was the lower ball joints on mine, i could not feel any play until i removed them .nice easy and cheap fix.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you guys checked if there was any grease left CV joints ? The rubber tend to crack and leak out grease when old . Just a thought hope it helps !

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem on a stock 98 caravelle. Had everything done as above and still it clatters and clonks at low speed, not at speed. Making me very nervous, wife really not happy. Spent a fortune so far. Sounds like something really important is loose, louder and you can feel it really badly under the front passenger seat. 210,000 btw. This is a big and worrying noise. Sounds really dangerous.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Check the bolts holding the lower A arm into the lower ball joint, mine had stretched 1/4 " giving a pronounced CLUNK!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have had the same issue for a few months now. Was driving me potty so had the wheel bearings done which were on the advisory, still no joy.

Went to get the tracking done as I know it can't be done unless everything true.

Still no joy!!!!! Was f*cking fuming as it ruins the ride.

Went over everything with fine precision and it turned out to be the air filter was not guided in to the side clips correctly.

Makes a horrible echoing knock sound.

Always worth a check as Sometimes it's something simple

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have the same knock from the front N/S, it sounds like a cricket ball inside a wooden box. worse when driving on a rough road at about 30mph.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts