VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
This is sort of heartening.

I have had this sort of banging noise from both sides at the front for a while.

I thought it would be picked up at MOT but it was not.

Couple of times I've put the jack under the van and I have not found a damn thing.

I was quite worried about this, when we went on holiday I wondered if we would make it.

The noise continued as we drove to our house in Brrittany.

We rattled banged and crashed our way through France and into North Spain.

It banged along the sea front in Santander.

It was still making the noise into the Picos Mountains.

And outside the Guggenheim.

Then we headed back North through the Loire.

And eventually loaded up with goodies and came home.

Nearly 2000 miles and broke my own best record 41 mpg!!!

And still I can't find whats banging, going to check the dampers - never changed them - has to be worth a try.

Rhys

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just managed to sort my annoying knocking it was the lower ball joints on mine, i could not feel any play until i removed them .nice easy and cheap fix.
Yeah , ball joints would sound like that , I replaced both top and bottom ball joints and the track rod ends three years ago with genuine VW parts so it isn't that on mine .......I am leaning towards the shock absorbers now. I seem to remember my dad telling me that the rapid dull thud sound on his Ford Zephyr was shock absorbers.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I replaced evrything left right and centre to try to get rid of the dreaded 'clonk'. Latest move was to replace all the suspension ball joints.
So far, touch wood, no more noise.
Watch this space...

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Has anyone considered the bushing at the rear end of the torsion bar? Part 701411197. There'll be a lot of pressure on that when going over bumps and I guess it's easily missed...
Only £9.18 each so a cheap enough consideration, I think they were well under £6.00 when I last bought them ;)

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Just had all the suspension ball joints done (while it was in for the timing belt to be done).
No more noises yet, but that's always the case for a few days after it's been jacked up in the air, so I'll wait a few more days before rejoicing.

The torsion bar bushes are a new one on me, but they would be candidates if the knocking does come back...

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Just had all the suspension ball joints done (while it was in for the timing belt to be done).
No more noises yet, but that's always the case for a few days after it's been jacked up in the air, so I'll wait a few more days before rejoicing.

The torsion bar bushes are a new one on me, but they would be candidates if the knocking does come back...
ball joints would of sorted your problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
Consolidation post!

Really interesting reading through this thread. Have hollow knocking sound on NS on my 62 plate. Worse at low speed over bumps. I thought it was something in the back cupboards knocking but I gave some people a trip in the back and they couldn't hear it at all. :*:*

Good to read through all your similar frustrations A:

Not had my usual garage look at it yet, and I'm not mechanical at all, so I thought it might be useful to consolidation a list of the key things to check, from this thread:

1. Shock Absorbers (done up and rubbers intact)
2. Track rod ends
3. Undertray bolted correctly
4. Torsion bar bolts or bushing
5. Spring clips on brake calipers
6. Lower ball joints
7. CV joints (rubber cracking, grease leak)
8. Air filter guided into clips

Have I missed anything?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello from across the pond, I am too experiencing this phenomenon. Lower control arm bushing replace as well as upper and lower ball joints, and tie rod ends (steering). It has to be either the shock or upper control arm bushings, has any one here changed them and they solved the problem?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've had worn anti rollbar bushes. It was a clunk over bumps similar to worn drop links. On jacking up the front the wear was easily visible between the bar and the bush. Quick fix.

Sent from my KOB-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. With mine I suspect the the anti-roll bar is knocking against the subframe (you can see rusty marks where they come into contact). I think the cure is to alter the length of the drop links. Struggling to find an adjustable set though :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone found a concrete solution to this annoying knocking noise?

Any updates would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Has anyone found a concrete solution to this annoying knocking noise?

Any updates would be greatly appreciated?
replace the worn components:*

I'm sorry but my Crystal-ball needs polishing so I cannot diagnose the problems with your van through the internetRasp:

Rich. (no knocking or rattling on my t4I: )

·
Registered
8 Posts
replace the worn components:*

I'm sorry but my Crystal-ball needs polishing so I cannot diagnose the problems with your van through the internetRasp:

Rich. (no knocking or rattling on my t4I: )
Hello funny man

This was a general question aimed at the 4 pages of posts refering to a knocking noise coming from the front suspension maybe you mist this part of the thread?

Glad there is nothing wrong with your T4 . Not sure about you though!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This was a general question aimed at the 4 pages of posts refering to a knocking noise coming from the front suspension maybe you mist this part of the thread?
as there are so many possibilities, theres no
concrete solution to this annoying knocking noise?
unless you bury the van in concrete:*

although theres quite a lot of van's that are bodged / fillered etc. so maybe thats the problem?LOL:

anti-roll bar bushes & 'drop-links', shock-absorber rubber bushes, balljoints (top & bottom) track-rod's & the track-rod ends, wheel-bearings, cracked suspension crossmembers, loose engines (yes, this happens), engine & gearbox 'undertrays' and even loose components under the bonnet can all knock / bang or rattleA:

check these first, maybe park on concrete to find the problem so you can decide on a solution I:

maybe I'm lucky enough to have my own garage, thousands of £'s worth of tooling not to mention 30 years of experience & knowlege in the motor trade and engineering as well as the ability or intrest to look for AND rectify these problems when they arise?

sorry, I forgot the :ILU:

Rich.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Yeah, but you're NOT supposed to be "a funny man" Rich.
It was a serious question, that required a serious answer...

MY answer:

GET UNDERNEATH AND SEE WHAT IS LOOSE!!!!!

No point asking a question when vo-one in the world knows what it sounds (or looks) like underneath.

Don't get "umpty" at someone who actually knows what he's talking about! I:

(There's a book...."How to win friends and influence people!" )

21 - 39 of 39 Posts