VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first time poster, long time lurker!

I have a problem with my 1998 T4 - 102 HP AVC manual.

3 weeks ago i changed outer CV joints, lower track control arm, links and lower & upper ball joints.
Since then i had a weird loud knocking comming from just beneath the front seats.
Accoured only when braking the first time, after standing still for the night, or when going into reverse, or steering wheel at full lock when going slow at a parkinglot.

Thought it would be a spring or something in the front end, or even torsion bars.
But couldnt seem to find anything.

So today i jacked up the car, and put it in first gear.
Only left wheel spinning, and right wheel spinning on and off.

And when accelerating getting a really loud rattling/knocking from under the van, what i think is in the gearbox or clutch area.

I have done 3 short 15 sec, videos showing the problems.
Hope someone can help do me some diagnosis!

Here is a link to the videos in my google drive folder: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hn8e9ZnB95Bcj6639

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ACV Engine of course.

Also if anyone thinks, that his has nothing to do with the knocking while driving/braking/reversing.
Please fill me in, on what could be the issue.

I havent had a alignment done after changing all the bits and pieces, since i havent had time, and the car has stood still.
Could this have anything to do with the knocking?

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
You just changed the outer CV joints.....your problem might be there. Both wheels don't spin when jacked up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You just changed the outer CV joints.....your problem might be there. Both wheels don't spin when jacked up.
Could that really make such a strange rattle noise come from the gearbox?
But will give it a look and see if anything seems off.

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
You need to check the inner joint too as the ball bearings can drop out of the race into the rubber if worn. You might be able to feel if there is a loose ball that is out. Happened to me once.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Hi Micki,

You may have accidentally pulled the stub shaft out of the gearbox on the passenger side.

Also looks like the brakes are binding. Is there a fixing screw missing from the disc ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Micki,

You may have accidentally pulled the stub shaft out of the gearbox on the passenger side.

Also looks like the brakes are binding. Is there a fixing screw missing from the disc ?
I will have a look at the stub. Thinking of maybe just buying a complete new shaft, since the inner shaft is probaly 20 years old.

The screw holding the disc in place is missing, thread is broken sadly, but i would assume that the wheel bolts holds the disc in place just fine?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put everything back together, and went for a spin. First time braking, the knock comes!

Hej is a short 10 sec video, the knock is at 6 seconds in: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EZCbCMvMsyyfCvdN8

It only happens when driving at slow speeds and braking, or going into reverse and driving, or at full steering lock. So mostly when going around parkinglots.

The knock sounds like its comming from the right front wheel or under the seats. Its loud, and you can feel it in the car.

Could this be the brakepads moving?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Knocking sounds gearbox? SOLVED

SOLVED!

Looking over everything again yesterday..
Found that one of the bushes in the lower control arm, was moving a little when braking.

Took out the wrench and tightend the bolt all i could. About half a turn.
This fixed the problem. No more knocking, when braking, turning or anything :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts