VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van seems to have developed a knocking when turning right only, generally at low speeds.

I'm thinking likely CV joint?

I'm meant to be heading from Manchester to the south lakes this weekend - is it desperate to get it sorted before then?

Cheers

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,901 Posts
Well, it's not as if you're driving a long way!
Couple of hundred miles round trip?

It won't get better, only worse, but I wouldn't panic.

Try to turn left more...do a 270 degrees and you'll be pointing right. T:
(Or drive faster...I:)

You could try pumping more grease into the joint....won't fix the problem, but will reduce the wear.
Remove the clip on the gaiter, ROUND screwdriver between the metal and rubber, pump some grease in, and use a ty-rap to close it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been VERY lazy about this.... and have done around 500 miles on it (I blame the newborn, stealing all my time and energy)

I sat it on the drive with the intention of taking it directly to the garage, but we ended up in A&E today so needs must, and the van went out.

It's making some pretty bum clenching noises when steering - to the point I'm expecting the wheel to fall off!

I've promised not to drive it anywhere else, except the garage now. Sort of a grinding noise now when turning, that seems to stop if I let off the accelerator, so likely still the CV joint? Had a quick look under and couldnt see any obvious splits in the boots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts