VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Im a new member.
I own a flooring company and im looking to buy a new 5.1 lwb.

The question i have is how easy is it to get a base van converted to a 6 seater kombi with removable seats.
I intend to use it as a carpet van during the week and a private "holiday/daytrip" van for the rest of the time.

I have had a quote for a factory kombi as follows
T32 102 lwb metalic silver with appearance pack with colour coded bumps etc
Air con, 6 seats, rear parking sensors, 16" alloys, barn doors with privacy glass.
The price quoted is £20,500 plus vat and rfl
8 weeks delivery time

Does that sound a good deal?

Or i could buy a new lwb base van and have it converted with no waiting time but have no idea about costs involved.
I can get a new lwb with aircon for about 17k plus vat

Any help or advice welcome

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, i had my panel van converted by a firm called dirty weekender in worcester, i supplied the 2+1 kombi seats, rear rubber mat well everything to do the job except the solid tinted windows.
They fitted everything including the windows and half carpeting the the back to a very high standard and all in including me supplying the parts it cost me £1500.
I used the van for work and as a day van but i ended up buying a second van as i could,nt stand the fact i was messing up my lovely van, in hindsight i can see the logic of a kombi van but for me it just was,nt working.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
You can pick up second hand benches mounts and belts and after fitting some mounts last week I would say its not rocket science! The belts would be the tricky bit in a panel van, but you might find the mounts are there too!

It just so happens I'll have a Kombi bench for sale next week with all the fitting kit lol

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Very easy to do yourself only tools needed are a spanner and a drill pretty much. It does mean a day underneath your van but all the parts are available either new from vw or tps or second hand on here/ebay.

I have the number of a guy who can supply the floor mounts and seatbelts, they are removed from new shuttles to convert to disability vehicles so the parts are unused. PM me if anyone would like his contact details.

Not including windows my kombi conversion which includes 2+1 rear seats and seatbelts has cost me £650 fitted using all the correct factory parts. Insulating and lining cost £150 to do myself. I paid £80 for a factory cargo mat as wellT:

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I carry out kombi conversions and have all the seats and parts in stock.
Alternatively i have a 5.1 facelift model in silver which has an executive Caravelle interior in leather for sale. 7 seats all removeable, bed pack, Sat nav, bluetooth, colour coded, alloys, a/c, e/w, e/m, Caravelle table etc etc. Full vw history, vw warranty and breakdown cover.
£22995 NO VAT
Colin
07799 626310

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi. Im a new member.

The question i have is how easy is it to get a base van converted to a 6 seater kombi with removable seats.
I intend to use it as a carpet van during the week and a private "holiday/daytrip" van for the rest of the time.

Air con, 6 seats, rear parking sensors, 16" alloys, barn doors with privacy glass.
8 weeks delivery time

Or i could buy a new lwb base van and have it converted with no waiting time but have no idea about costs involved.

I would also speak to your insurance if you are thinking of converting a panel van. I am with Direct Line and when I fitted windows and seats to my 2007 T5, it moved into the "modified vehicle category" and my premium went up by £301! (52 yrs old and max no claims) That van was stolen and I now have a factory window/seats van (WV2 vin code) insurance dropped again!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. Thanks for all replys. Im not looking for a caravelle or 7 seater as it will be used as a work van during the day. I dont want bench seats as i would like to leave the single rear seat in to leave room for 4metre long carpets to be loaded. I also need quick release seats rather than permanent. I live in bognor regis in west sussex. Is there any good local companies that may be able to do the conversion?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
have a word with andy at ajc conversions he i selling a caravelle set up and i think he wants 1200 for it and im sure he will covert / fit it

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi. Im a new member.

8 weeks delivery time

Went through a similair dilema to you - ie new kombi or convert nearly new panel van.
Went for a new kombi and had it two months and am loving it.
For me safety was an issue - got 3 kids and van is to be my daily drive, so i decided that i would prefer a factory fit of seats and seatbelts, just didn't want to run the risk of picking a not so good body shop and have them do a not very good job.
In addition to this the factory kombi seats are 2+1 and quick release and sit futher forward than conversions (gving more load room) all the conversions I saw were bench seats sat further back and had to be un-bolted if you wanted them taken out
also factory kombi has a rubber floor which is really useful if you have muddy kids and muddy dogs and muddy bikes!
And I couldn't find a decent low mileage panel van in the spec I wanted, and i prefer the Kombi factory windows and by getting a new van I got 3 years warranty, breakdown cover and service package - again all important to me as Mrs moby wiil be driving the van a lot on her own with the kids.....but there again I'm lucky enough to be able to buy a new van and appreciate thats not an option for all

·
Registered
285 Posts
and............by having a factory Kombi saves any hassle with DVLA and insurance companies....insurance companies can be a bunch of *****, and i should know as i work for one! I:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Have looked at this for months now , Buy Kombi or convert van ,
Both have good and bad points , But to convert correctly with PSV MOT cert if you dont you are not probley Taxed or worse
may not be insured
Kombi ,yes more money ,but then kombi rear seating great
So in all yes you will get a better price for you VW later on in life
Everyone different in what they like to do
Myself has to be factory kombi again ,
but can be hard to get 6 month old one as not many vw dealers bring them in to stock
with a nice spec , most seem to be to order ,wish i had ordered one in summer time would have had it by jan 12:(

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Just changed from a new pannel to new Kombi and love it even though some retard dented in the rear doors yesterday!

I have 2 kids plus race mx so the rubber floor is great and the flexible seating is really good to take in and out etc. plus the insurance thing persuaded me too , I thought about converting my 140 long and hard but the figures against a new deal just didnt work out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just changed from a new pannel to new Kombi and love it even though some retard dented in the rear doors yesterday!

I have 2 kids plus race mx so the rubber floor is great and the flexible seating is really good to take in and out etc. plus the insurance thing persuaded me too , I thought about converting my 140 long and hard but the figures against a new deal just didnt work out.
I am thinking of getting a new kombi but my van is only six months old should I wait or buy now thinking of a lwb sport line kombi so going to have six month wait so current van will be year old when new one turns up the question is will I loose lots of money if I change my van after I only had it six months

1 - 14 of 14 Posts