VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built a pod for the back of their kombi? What I mean by this is something like a half bed / camper seating in the back?

I ask because I'm thinking of building a "U" shaped pod in the back of my kombi, it will have 2 benches down each side (one over each of the wheel arches) and an end bench section behind the kombi seats. If you were looking in through the tailgate it would be an "n" shaped seating plan. The gap in the middle will be used for your legs when sitting and have a table that will drop and make up the bed base in the evenings.

My plan involves using the 4 load fixing points in the back to anchor the pod in place.

In theory it could go on top of the current load mat and be fixed in place at the 4 anchor points with fixing discs and larger bolts. It could then be removed pretty easily at a later date if the van was to be sold.

Or it could be fixed to a new ply floor put under the rear flooring and also be fixed to the side of the van to make it more solid / permanent?

I'd love to know if anyone has done something similar in a SWB kombi.....or what your thoughts are on this approach?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have done domething similar.
Two benches running over the rear arches and an infill to make a bed.
I flip the double seater down to form the bottom of the bed.
I used the four lashing points to bolt the bench boxs in.
Can be removed in minutes.
Do not know how to post pics but email me your email address and I will send you pics.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine has to turn back to a works van, single handed, in five mins.
However I rarely take it out as its really useful as a two tier load shelf.
It is bolted down to the two o/s load lashing points.
My surfboards fit under the bed as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just made a wooden frame and popped a slatted bedbottom in it (90*200cm I think)
Hight is just underneath the window with matress on it.
Underneath I have storage room for my fridge, watertank, food, supplies, dive-gear,....

So (not taking in consideration my dive tanks) I always have all my stuff with me and have half the width of the van free for loading other stuff.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That looks smart Toucanspeed I'm just looking into building something for my Kombi with barn doors, need to have sleeping ability pref with keeping the 2+1 quick release seats rather than an RnR smart bed as they are ££££ and can't get my boards in ! Kids bikes, tools etc.. Any ideas much help and appreciated.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Amdro have been working on a big boot jump for the kombi, if you check out their photo albums on FB they have pictures of a few prototypes.

Also check out the Actionvan and Reimo websites, they both have some interesting kombi options.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Some really good ideas! As always I think I've come away more confused about what I really want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts