VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Kombi Side windows leaking in

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ididntdoit73 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon,

Just a quick question to ask other Kombi Transporter owners if the have had any problems with water leaking in from their side windows? And if so have they managed to stop it?

Thanks

#3 ·
This is a known problem. VW have replaced my opening Kombi windows. There is a multi-stage approach which starts with cleaning the seals, then if they still leak the opening units can be replaced, then the whole glass.

When I had it first into Edinburgh Van centre with this problem they told me it was fixed. I asked had they tested it because I didn't want to get home and find them still leaking. With much persuasion they put a hose to the windows and could see water still getting in. At that point they agreed to replace the whole window. The replacement window fit is perfect although the seal/glue to the body is not that neat in places. I would have complained but the lack of water getting in is more important to me!

I hope you get it fixed. VW really should have redesigned these windows a long time ago as they are still being fitted to the T6.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

At the moment its parked at the dealers. VW are refusing to any more work under warranty unless its a new non opening window replacement. I'm not having that as I want opening windows as that is what I purchased.

Its had several krytox treatments.
The originally windows taken out and then re fitted.
Then new inner slide windows.

Its never had a new complete window, and that's what I think it needs.

#5 ·
Was looking at a T6 today and I think the seals are slightly different, perhaps they have improved the windows a bit.

I would be firm with the dealer to get replacement. As far as I'm aware it is VW who pick up the bill so I don't understand why dealers resist doing warranty repairs so much. Perhaps someone on here in the Trade can explain.

#8 ·
It is VW who pick up the bill, the problem is that the dealer have to get the go ahead from VW first. Ive been told that even if the dealer recommend doing it a certain way, VW can opt for the cheaper job to see if that works first.

#11 ·
I've done a lot of research into this. They have a drain hole half way down the bottom rail (not visible) and one at the front.

It's only about 10-15mm deep before the housing turns at right angles and directs the water to the outside, where it comes from behind the glass. Due to the depth, some people poke things down the hole and break the tiny drain housing, so be careful.

I pointed this out to someone on here, who did a Youtube video on unblocking them with a syringe of water to blast through the silt which blocks it. Beach Junkey is his Youtube name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajVz2AzEz-k

He also suggested checking the pins on the windows for wear in another video - mine were fine, but I replaced the locking mechanism assembly anyway to put new pins on the centre of the window.

I tried treating my seals with proper silicone grease, which helped but didn't solve it.

In the end I stopped it by something really simple. My leak was only one one side (twin slider) and it took me over a year to realise that the gap between the glass and sliding window glass was wider at the front of the window on the leaky one than the one which didn't leak. The gap where the seal is when closed was also narrower at the back of the window on the leaky side.

I tried putting the palm of my hand behind the glass on the leaky side once shut and gave it a bit of a thump. It clicked into place and popped out and forward by a couple more MM. It's not leaked since.

No matter how hard I tried sliding it shut, without a little help from pushing the glass from the inside, it never shut properly and leaked. It's fine now.

T:

#12 ·
Hi

Thought I would post on here my experience.

Bought van in Feb/March 2017 fitted after market windows during the Spring, a slider on both sides. Nearside window in the sliding door was fine the off side window behind the drivers seat had a slight leak, which I realised was around the sliding widow part of the glass. I had been going along the route of silicone grease which wasn't working.

Read this post from Marcus above and tried pushing the sliding section of the window out to make more firm contact with the fixed glass.

Leak appears to have stopped at the moment.

Thank you.

Sticky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.