VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year!

Planning a trip to Lake Garda in the summer, anyone been there done that!?

What route did you take? Google maps shows 3 routes from Kent, did you have a stay over to break the journey up?

Any pics of your camp site, road trip!?

Any tips for the route, mountain roads, city stop overs?

Jim

·
aka..L15 PGR
288 Posts
We are going down to Garda in August, first time for us and we are staying in a chalet rather than camping.

We are planning to go the Belgium / Luxembourg route and have just booked a hotel in Basel for a mid point stop over. I think we will also avoid the Gotthard Tunnel and go over the top for the scenery.

Will watch this thread with interest to see what other people have done though.

Paul

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hi to all you Garda fans.
This route is definitely worth looking at.

Calais/Dunkirk - Belgium/Luxemburg - Bavaria (south of Munich, plenty of good campsites for 1st stop) - S. Tirol (north side of Dolomites) - through the Dolomites (magical scenery) via Trento region (plenty of sites) to L. Garda. A second stop in S. Austria or N. Italy is advisable to avoid too much of a hard slog driving. Garda is then an easy drive from there.
If any of you want campsite info, etc., just ask. We've been in that direction many times and know it well. Just don't rush, there's lots to see on the way.

Being a tight-ar*^d Yorkshireman, you can take my word for it that this is the cheapest way to do it I:. We did a 5,000-mile trip in 2012, planned entirely on Google Maps, which was totally accurate except for the estimate on cost of fuel - it was way to high, even for a 2.4D at 32mpg.

To repeat my earlier post - Luxemburg has cheapest fuel in Europe, Italian fuel is expensive, so plan ahead before tanking up. If using the ferry to cross the channel, look at DFDS to Calais or Dunkirk: always seems cheapest and you can book as a 'large car' unless you're a high-top.

Thanks to this I'm now getting envious and thinking about doing it again this year, but in low season with an ACSI discount card. :cool:.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi to all you Garda fans.
This route is definitely worth looking at.

Calais/Dunkirk - Belgium/Luxemburg - Bavaria (south of Munich, plenty of good campsites for 1st stop) - S. Tirol (north side of Dolomites) - through the Dolomites (magical scenery) via Trento region (plenty of sites) to L. Garda. A second stop in S. Austria or N. Italy is advisable to avoid too much of a hard slog driving. Garda is then an easy drive from there.
If any of you want campsite info, etc., just ask. We've been in that direction many times and know it well. Just don't rush, there's lots to see on the way.

Being a tight-ar*^d Yorkshireman, you can take my word for it that this is the cheapest way to do it I:. We did a 5,000-mile trip in 2012, planned entirely on Google Maps, which was totally accurate except for the estimate on cost of fuel - it was way to high, even for a 2.4D at 32mpg.

To repeat my earlier post - Luxemburg has cheapest fuel in Europe, Italian fuel is expensive, so plan ahead before tanking up. If using the ferry to cross the channel, look at DFDS to Calais or Dunkirk: always seems cheapest and you can book as a 'large car' unless you're a high-top.

Thanks to this I'm now getting envious and thinking about doing it again this year, but in low season with an ACSI discount card. :cool:.
Great advice! I may take you up on your offer of campsite recommendations!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Might be worth posting people's dates and where they staying, that was if any of us at same time we could have a photo op? I'll keep an eye out for rhd and have the wave at the ready, you can't miss my rat ride and if you can't see it you'll hear it!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Likewise, and would be real interested in your exact route from Calais, over the top and in to Garda!
Danny & Sailing,

Calais to Garda.
It all depends on whether you're going to do the trip as a quick 'bash' and get there as quicklyas possible, or take your time and see more of Europe on the way. Personally, I prefer the second option, which is how we always travel in Europe, but being retired, we have the time to do it.
If you're new to going over the channel, I would suggest that you make your first day an easy one - get used to driving on the right and going the wrong way round roundabouts (and using junctions - they can take a little getting used to).

So, perhaps a first stop on the Rhine Gorge is advisable. Plenty of campsites and Stellplatze (like the French aires for campervans) between Koblenz and Bingen, right on the river bank. An easy drive of about 3-1/2 hours should get you there. Go via Luxembourg for cheap fuel! German Autobahns are great, even though a lot of them are only 2 lanes - in which case HGVs are limited to the inside lane, so overtaking is a doddle (but use your mirrors constantly - or am I preaching to the converted?).Next day, go all the way to, or beyond, the Austrian border. Before you cross, get a 10-day vignette for Austrian Autobahns - buy at filling stations near the border (cheap). Beware - heavy fine if you get caught without one!!!!!!!! Plenty of campsites once south of Munich or into Austria and the Tirol.
Fom there, I would head for Lienz (good campsites) possibly via the Grossglockner pass (toll road) - search on the forum for details of this.
Garda is a full day's run from here, so we split it into two with a stop in the Trento region of N. Italy - more decent campsites.
I would suggest that you get a rough idea of how to go about getting there, then give me another shout for site details when you think you'll know which route you're roughly going to use.

We have used campsites at:
Bacharach am Rhein (1st stop), Kochel am See, Lechbruch and Berchtesgaden (2nd stop, S. of Munich), Walchsee (also 2nd stop in Tirol),Lienz (E. Tirol 3rd stop), Calceranica (Trento, Italy), Moniga del Garda.
Happy to help with more, including campsite web addresses for places we can recommend - just ask.

Don't forget that Google maps is your friend. Use it to search for campsites as well as route planning - ask it for "campsites near ............" and you'll get bags of answers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Bass

Many thanks for your time in replying, we will only have a week to travel and return, so probably only one night stop over.
We use the tunnel a lot from Folkstone as we live in Kent, so straight in to France from an early start. Certainly want to see the sights on route.
Great advice and truly appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hi Bass

Many thanks for your time in replying, we will only have a week to travel and return, so probably only one night stop over.
We use the tunnel a lot from Folkstone as we live in Kent, so straight in to France from an early start. Certainly want to see the sights on route.
Great advice and truly appreciated.

Jim
Hi again,
That's a long trip in just one week! No doubt it's do-able, but you'll need a full day to recover when you get there. I still reckon that going southeastwards and using the Germany/Austria route will work well - and will be cheaper (Yorkshireman, remember I:). Going over the Grossglockner will take almost a full day - you can't just hammer it over without stopping for a look now and again. Motorway tolls in France and Italy have a nasty habit of getting expensive without you realising it - until it's too late :eek:.
Keep me posted if you need to.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the advice Bass. When you say HGVs have to go on the inside lane on the Autobahn? Is it not like here only mirrored? Ie over take on the inside lane?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Thanks for the advice Bass. When you say HGVs have to go on the inside lane on the Autobahn? Is it not like here only mirrored? Ie over take on the inside lane?
2 - lane Autobahns in Germany: HGVs are retricted to the inside lane only, i.e. the right-hand lane, as are caravans and trailers. You overtake in the left-hand lane, opposite to here in UK.
3 or more lanes are just like over here - no overtaking on the inside lane unless traffic is streamed in lanes approaching junctions, etc. Hope that clarifies things for you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi all

My wife and I have just booked here (http://www.piantelle.eu/) based on Basscamps recommendation. It will be our proper first trip in our newly converted T5.

We are going in early June and will be on this site for a week and so hope it wont be too busy at that time. We are just trying to finalise our route on google maps and then see if we can get Mr Garmin to follow that route!

We are looking to take around 3 days to get down there and maybe a bit longer on the way back but we are not sure where the best places are to go en route. We are going to go to Interlaken but on the way back.

Are there any must see's or do's around the Garda area? We are not really into historic cites as such but anywhere nice would be good like markets etc. Just sitting somewhere with a coffee watching the world go by would be nice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hi all

My wife and I have just booked here (http://www.piantelle.eu/) based on Basscamps recommendation. It will be our proper first trip in our newly converted T5.
We are going in early June and will be on this site for a week and so hope it wont be too busy at that time. We are just trying to finalise our route on google maps and then see if we can get Mr Garmin to follow that route!
We are looking to take around 3 days to get down there and maybe a bit longer on the way back but we are not sure where the best places are to go en route. We are going to go to Interlaken but on the way back.

Thanks.
Hi Boots,
If going in early June, you must get an ACSI discount card. You'll still be in low season and qualify for the discount at Piantelle, as well as other sites on your journey there and back. This will save you a LOT of dosh. For just €19 per night max. you'll get a pitch for 2 persons, free hook-up (unlimited), free showers and a dog if you have one. The cost without the ACSI card will be MUCH higher than that. You get 2 guide-books and can also get a free app from them with all the info for campsites throughout Europe - and it's excellent.
We were at Pientelle in mid-June and there was bags of space, even on the lake side. The bar/restaurant is good. As for markets, etc., most of the lakeside towns have one, usually on different days to each other, so you'll have to do a bit of finding out when you get there.
As for a route - see my earlier posting about going through Germany and Austria - I recommend it as the cheapest(!) and has wonderful scenery.
Get back to me for more info if you need it.
One more thing - there's a good VW garage in Desenzano (not far away) if you have a problem with the van. Hope you don't need it like we did!!!!!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
2 - lane Autobahns in Germany: HGVs are retricted to the inside lane only, i.e. the right-hand lane, as are caravans and trailers. You overtake in the left-hand lane, opposite to here in UK.
3 or more lanes are just like over here - no overtaking on the inside lane unless traffic is streamed in lanes approaching junctions, etc. Hope that clarifies things for you.
That's great! Thanks man, I have to say I'm not the best driver in the world so this summer will be interesting..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Boots,
If going in early June, you must get an ACSI discount card. You'll still be in low season and qualify for the discount at Piantelle, as well as other sites on your journey there and back. This will save you a LOT of dosh. For just €19 per night max. you'll get a pitch for 2 persons, free hook-up (unlimited), free showers and a dog if you have one. The cost without the ACSI card will be MUCH higher than that. You get 2 guide-books and can also get a free app from them with all the info for campsites throughout Europe - and it's excellent.
We were at Pientelle in mid-June and there was bags of space, even on the lake side. The bar/restaurant is good. As for markets, etc., most of the lakeside towns have one, usually on different days to each other, so you'll have to do a bit of finding out when you get there.
As for a route - see my earlier posting about going through Germany and Austria - I recommend it as the cheapest(!) and has wonderful scenery.
Get back to me for more info if you need it.
One more thing - there's a good VW garage in Desenzano (not far away) if you have a problem with the van. Hope you don't need it like we did!!!!!!!
That's great advice thanks. I may well ask for further advice on the route if needed.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
907 Posts
That's great advice thanks. I may well ask for further advice on the route if needed. Much appreciated.
Fatboots, DannyMontez & Miltski,

I will send each of you a PM shortly - watch out for it, then get back to me if you think I can help. I can send you info on a route to Garda, likely stop-overs and campsites details. The info is in .pdf format which I can't seem to post on here, but will happily send as attachments to your private email addresses - which I will need when you reply, so let me have them if you think it will be useful.

In the meantime, have a look at my albums and see the pics under 'Big Trip 2012' from our 5,000-mile 2 month European jaunt. Some of the pics are relevant to your trip, but sadly there are none from Garda I:.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Geoff

1 - 20 of 30 Posts